Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Supercomp loads

Andrew B

I am posting this as I have not seen load workups for 38 supercomp using Hornady 38TJ brass in a short open gun. I started the process because I was concerned about pressure issues in this case because of the decreased volume due to the large extractor groove. I just went to this brass.

I loaded IMR 4756 at 8.8 grains in new Hornady 38TJ supercomp brass at 1.240 with Winchester small rifle primers. It produced 1355 fps, a 168 PF with Montana golds 124.4 JHP through my Brazos Pro Sx when chronographed at 80 degrees.

From a rest, I was able to shoot a 5 shot dime size group at 25 yards with this. I am pleased with the load and the gun. Bob does great work.

I also loaded 10.5 grs of VV N105 in the same brass at 1.250 to make 170 PF. I actually think this shoots a little flatter and does not hit you in the hand as hard, but in the 38TJ brass, it's a pain to load due to the volume and I have slight issues with consistent powder drops on the N105 - I believe it's the extruded powder shape - I get .1 grs variance. Also a good load, but I found it not to be quite as accurate (by a hair).

I also loaded 9.8 grs of VV 3N38 in the same brass at 1.240 to make 170 PF. The 3N38 meters extremely well and does not fill the case as much as the other powders above. However, compared to the others above, it hits your hand hard. I really disliked it. I did not test it for accuracy since I had no desire to shoot it on a regular basis after testing the others above.

For what it's worth, there were no significant pressure signs with the loads above.

Andrew,

I am also shooting a proSX and I use tj brass. I have to say, in my opinion, the Tj brass is the sh_t. I can not destoy it. I use 10.7 of 105 loaded at 1.235 to make 171 PF. I have tried a pound of 3n38 and I think that I could get used to it, but I decided not to pursue the 3n38 because at 171 PF I had a good bit of primer flow. The other reason I chose to stay with 105 over 3n38 is because it seems like 3n38 gets all bought up in the summer time and it is easier to get 105.

The 105 with 125g zero bullets groups very well in my gun. At 25 yards from a sandbag I can shoot a full magizine inside an inch. at 50 yards from a sandbag I can shoot a full mag inside of 3 inches and that probably could be better with a smaller dot. My gun has around 30,000 rounds on it.

As far as powder spilling in your press do to full cases. Keep a can of compressed air around and blow out the shell plate area every pound of powder. A clean press will run smoother and spill less powder.