Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challenge stages

ErikW

Detlef, thats easy, just shoot as fast as you can and not miss too often!! LOL I think you're asking the hardest question.  For me there are two ways to shoot it. If I haven't practiced the stages I have to shoot a pace that I can call every shot at 100% or close to it. Misses just cost too much at this pace.

If I've been practicing and keeping track of my times I'll know the pace I can reasonably expect to shoot at.  If you shoot too careful you're slow on all the stages. Too fast and you can completely blow a stage.

Then there is the strategy of how to handle your throw away run. If you're lucky enough to get good runs in first you have the luxury of going for it on that last run. The other strategy is to go ahead and shoot the last run just like the others and hope it is just naturaly a little faster to help your average.  Me I usually trash the first run and have the big monkey on my back the rest of the stage.

JJ

Detlef,

Unless you're The Jet, or some really cool cucumber, you're probably gonna have some misses even if your only goal is to actually hit all the plates on your first attempt. That's how it works for me anyway. So, I just try to hit the all the plates in the match, and let my training/current ability dictate the speed.

be

I understand the motivation and plan. But how (you know me: How in numbers?) does it all eventually turn out? How many missed shots in *the match*? Erik's figure is about one in every 15 shots fired misses. That's a higher rate than I'd naively expect...

And 5-to-Go is indeed deceiving! I always miss the *stop plate*! Compared with the others, it's barn-door sized! Go figure...

--Detlef

Detlef,

You know I can't give you the numbers, because I don't care. Sorry. To me it's simple: Shoot as fast as you think/feel you can hit each plate. If I allow myself to actually do that - I can't score any better - meaning I'll rip it up. To me, each time I miss - I'm losing, "big time."

>>And 5-to-Go is indeed deceiving! I always miss the *stop plate*! Compared with the others, it's barn-door sized! Go figure... <<

I'm with you on that one. I don't hold back on that shot. In fact I have sort of a patented "move" on the stop plate - I really crank one over there. In later years I began (unconsciously) shooting a "quick double" - just in case.

be