Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Re-check Your Sights

doc540

Shot terribly during my last match and chalked it up to pushing the trigger to the left.

Night before last I realized the rear sight had moved slightly in the dovetail and the set screw wasn't tight.

Readjusted it.

Shot again today.

What a difference correct sight position makes.

Several years ago I was shooting in an indoor competition with my Beretta 92FS. I couldn't hit anything! Missed every shot. When I finished that round, I looked at the rear adjustable sight. Sheesh. One of the two roll pin pivots had broken, allowing the sight blade to sit at a cockeyed angle. If I had checked it before the match, I would have withdrawn. Shame on me- but especially on the sight maker. Oh- and my shooting buddy had the same model rear sight break the same way on his 1911. I ended up replacing both roll pins with solid ones fashioned from stock I got at a hardware store. No more problems.

Chuck

I had a FO front break and fall out. I did a reload, brought the gun up and not FO. But I found that I could still see the front sight without too much difficulty. I dinidhed the stage, and the guy running the timer was laughing at me. He siad he heard me start cursing about the front sight, and that I would curse between every target, but that it didm't reall slow me down any at all. Maybe I should note that I'm on teh slow side anyway.

I picked up a brand new 38 super PT1911 because it was too dang good of a deal to pass up. I noticed it started to shoot left... Apparently they have been shipping them without set screws in their sights... I ordered the screws, waited 2 weeks, all to find out they don't fit. I'm dreading making that next phone call.