Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Titegroup

Red Ryder

I am a new shooter with a standard 5 inch STI Edge in .38 Super. I have only ever used Tightgroup, about 5 pounds so far. I avoided N320 because of cost but I am certainly going to try some now I have read this string. I use light loads, 4gr with a 125gn JHP Zero projectile. I have a 6 inch STI Eagle on order and plan to use 115gn projectiles with 4.4gn of Tightgroup. I figure there will be less recoile with the 6 inch gun so I can increase the load and benefit from a flatter trajectory. Maybe I could benefit from less recoil now using N320 with my 5 inch gun?

Does anyone know how much flatter a 115gn projectile travels over 50 yards compared to a 125gn projectile?

Cheers.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is called SMOKELESS powder not smokefree powder. I use JHP exclusively in my 38Super and I get smoke sometimes. The more pressure you generate the LESS smoke you will usually get, the powder is fully consumed.

Must be from the coal?

Ball Powders will tend to smoke a little more when the pressures are low, than say Vihtavouri 320, just the way it is.

All powders are to some extent hydroscopic. The celulose is derived from trees and powder gets its oxygen from water vapour. Which is why you should try and keep the moisture content of the powder at a stable level and keep the powder in a closed conatiner.

The other way is use it up really fast and always have a new bottle handy.

Richard