Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

springs?

RedHawk

I have a Witness Compact in 10MM that whacks the slide pretty bad when I shoot it with factory loads or with equivalent hand loads.

I am wondering if there are heavier recoil springs available that I could buy to fix this problem. Does anyone here have any info on that please?

Edited by RedHawk

I have a Witness Compact in 10MM that whacks the slide pretty bad when I shoot it with factory loads or with equivalent hand loads.

I am wondering if there are heavier recoil springs available that I could buy to fix this problem. Does anyone here have any info on that please?

Your slide will most likely crack unless you get the proper amount of recoil reduction.

The 20# Wolff spring isn't enough in most cases, so I suggest that people get a Springco Recoil reducer (which is a 2-stage guiderod). However they don't make it for the compacts.

The solution that is "close" to acceptable is to make a spacer about 1/4-3/8" who's outer diameter is slightly larger than the spring, and who's inner diameter will go over the guide rod. You can't use too thick of a spacer or else it will make the spring bind, which will then cause your guidrod to start peening the metal where it seats. If you use this kind of spacer with a 20# spring it should work for medium 10mm loads. Anything hot will still make the slide hit the frame.

Also, since you can't get the Sprinco rod, I would suggest you get the Henning guiderod and cut it down for your short slide.

http://www.henningshootsguns.com/shop/upperparts.html

Your slide will most likely crack unless you get the proper amount of recoil reduction.

The 20# Wolff spring isn't enough in most cases, so I suggest that people get a Springco Recoil reducer (which is a 2-stage guiderod). However they don't make it for the compacts.

The solution that is "close" to acceptable is to make a spacer about 1/4-3/8" who's outer diameter is slightly larger than the spring, and who's inner diameter will go over the guide rod. You can't use too thick of a spacer or else it will make the spring bind, which will then cause your guidrod to start peening the metal where it seats. If you use this kind of spacer with a 20# spring it should work for medium 10mm loads. Anything hot will still make the slide hit the frame.

Also, since you can't get the Sprinco rod, I would suggest you get the Henning guiderod and cut it down for your short slide.

http://www.henningshootsguns.com/shop/upperparts.html

Nealio...thanks for the info and the link, which explains the problem quite well indeed.

My gun is a 10 MM Compact model for which I have purchased a 40 S&W barrel. When I shoot 40 S&W ammo in it, there seems to be no problem with beating the gun up since it was set up originally for 10MM ammo. It functions perfectly fine as a 40 S&W, so I kinda think I am just gonna leave it that way and sell the 10MM barrel. There is a full size 10MM auto Tanfoglio available and I think I will just buy that one and order one of the guide rods for it so that when I shoot the higher powered 10MM stuff I will be more appropriately equipped.

Thanks again.... :closedeyes:

When you get the bigger 10mm I can help you get it set up.

Thanks for that....I will be back.

In the mean time, I am considering making a spacer as you described but with the angle machined on it to match the angle in the frame. I am considering making it out of drill rod which is pretty tough even before heat treating. Do you think that is a good idea?

In the mean time, I am considering making a spacer as you described but with the angle machined on it to match the angle in the frame. I am considering making it out of drill rod which is pretty tough even before heat treating. Do you think that is a good idea?

What angle are you referring to? The front and back surfaces of the spacer should be parallel. I made mine out of some mild steel tubing. It doesn't need to be very hard or fancy. The bull barrel guns have a spring plug made out of aluminum... :)

What angle are you referring to? The front and back surfaces of the spacer should be parallel. I made mine out of some mild steel tubing. It doesn't need to be very hard or fancy. The bull barrel guns have a spring plug made out of aluminum... :)

I am referring to the angle in the frame that engages the cone on the guide rod that Mr. Hennimg sells.

If I just made a spacer like you discribe and machined the same angle that is on that rod, then placed the spacer between the spring and the head of my existing rod, wouldn't it have a similar effect?

• 2 years later...