Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blade-Tech holster hard to draw from?

sfinney

Anyone else have trouble with the Dropped and offset Blade-Tech holster for a Glock (or 5" XD9?) - I just recieved my Blade-Tech holster after MUCH waiting, my research pointed me towards this model for Production.....

The issue is that the Belt loop portion of the holster that rides your belt is to close to the slide/grip - the gap between them doesn't allow me to get my thumb between the holster and belt to grip and index, at least the way I'm used to...as its dropped, this becomes an issue.

I have to half grip the pistol, draw, and complete my grip in mid draw, kinda fumbly.

Anyone else have the same problem? Or should I just use spacers and offset the holster even more? Or get over it and practice a new draw? Or raise the holster back to "undropped" position maybe would cure it.

Just curious, other than that it seem like a nice holster, hate to give up on it so fast, i'll probably end up modifying it somehow (hmmmm is it even legal in Production to modify it with spacers, etc?)

Thanks!

Mine works well with a single stack 1911 or a Para because you have to keep the thumb "high," i.e. right on top of the grip safety, in order to get the piece out. After what you describe, I can see how it might not do for a Glock.

I use a high thumb draw with my G-34/DOH combo. My right thumb doesn't drop into final position until the weak hand is on the gun. Since I'm solidly built, my holstered gun was riding at what was effectively an FBI cant in the holster, until someone pointed that out, and suggested that I use different mounting holes on the belt hanger. By changing the angle, I've now got a slight muzzle forward cant to the holster --- which frees some more room for the hand to drop onto the gun....

• 4 weeks later...

Well, my Bladetech is now a veteran of two matches and several hundred practice draws. I like it! B)

I tried FBI cant. It seems best suited for carrying behind the hip. :(

I set it straight up and did better. :)

Someone suggested I set it muzzle forward and hang it forward of the production line (like the race gun guys). That works great except now I have to shoot limited with a production gun. I'm gonna get my butt kicked! :o

Guess I finally have to break down and learn to shoot straight. ;)

BLADE-TECH MANUFACTURES SPACING SHIMS AND IS A FACTORY PART. IWOULD RECOMMEND CONTACTING BLADE-TECH AND PURCHASING SOME SMALL RUBBER SHIMS THAT ARE USED WITH TEK-LOKS. I BELEIVE SINCE IT IS A FACTORY PART USPA MAY POSSIBLY ALLOW THAT IN PRODUCTION CLASS. PROBABLY HAVE TO CONTACT USPSA. OR ANOTHER FIX WOULD BE IS TO HEAT THE DROPPED ATTACHMENT AND CANT THE FIRE-ARM AWAY FROM YOUR BODY. I DO NOT RECOMMEND DOING THAT DUE TO THE FACT THAT WOULD VOID YOUR WARRANTY. BUT IT WOULD WORK DON'T HEAT IT TOO FAST WORK AT IT SLOWLY. B)