Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lubrication of 2011

JCB

Where in the trigger system do you usually lubricate?

And what kind of lube?

On my EAA I always lubed the triggersystem. But I got the impression that on 1911/2011 that some do and some dont.

I used gunbutter oil on my EAA trigger and happy with it.

Gun is used for practical shooting.

I've heard of guys putting a heavy grease on the hammer/sear hooks but that's it. Adding lubricant to the trigger components would invite in dirt and allow it to collect and eventually gum up.

I'd say avoid it, but some others may disagree.

Where in the trigger system do you usually lubricate?

And what kind of lube?

On my EAA I always lubed the triggersystem. But I got the impression that on 1911/2011 that some do and some dont.

I used gunbutter oil on my EAA trigger and happy with it.

Gun is used for practical shooting.

I have had good luck with KG-5 wet trigger lube, don't use it everytime I field strip, but it seems to help in my competition guns.

Recently added FP-10 to the disconnector/trigger bow in my 2011. This caused some sort of a disconnector stick, sometimes hammer would fall to half cock position, removed lube and all is well. I do have a grease on the sear hooks and hammer notches.

Thanks for the link.

The one at Brazos does not say to much about trigger lubing thou.

Several I talked to say lube as little as possible. Lube will get more dirt.

Some use grease on sear/hammer. I thought this place should not be lubed, because of safty and good lock up.

Everybody seems to have different views on lubrication. Mobil 1 5W30 Synthetic for me works Great. Hard to over oil a 1911/2011. Oil is a heck of a lot easier to clean than grease, doesn't attract dirt as bad, quart is about six bucks and a quart will last for years. I put it in a little needle oilier from Brownells.

I slide glide everything (including trigger channel), and just make it a point to do a full detail strip and clean every 5-6000 rounds or before a major match, whichever comes first. The only time I ever had a problem was when I went close to 10K rounds of lead without a detail strip - that gunked up the trigger enough to cause a problem. But after 2500-5000 rounds, the frame and trigger channel aren't that dirty.

BB