Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting a steel star

FastAttack

OK. So I'm at my second match and we have to shoot a five point steel star (plates on the tip of each point, stationary at start but will spin) through a barrel from essentially our knees.

I went through three clips (SS).

Pause and wait for the giggling to subside...

I got some advice yesterday, and now realize that I should have remembered my physics and shot top first.

But I'm throwing it out there. Any other tips on shooting my newest nemesis? I will not let it kick my A$ again.

Thanks in advance.

I think I am the only guy at our club that has taken down our TXSSTAR and all FIVE plates with one shot!

I shot the top plate first like your supposed to............and the whole thing crashed over on the ground and the plates went flyin! (No joy,...I had to reshoot) :wacko:

I think I am the only guy at our club that has taken down our TXSSTAR and all FIVE plates with one shot!

I shot the top plate first like your supposed to............and the whole thing crashed over on the ground and the plates went flyin! (No joy,...I had to reshoot) :wacko:

:roflol: That's crazy! Would have been awesome to catch on video!!!

C.

• 3 months later...

My law enforcement agency has a "Top Gun" competition each year, and I've made it to the finals each year since it's inception. I went this year as the defending champ, and to my delight, I found the head-to-head shooting course only consisted of seven targets...although five were found on a Texas Star. To make matters worse, mags could only be loaded with four rounds each, in order to force reloads.

Made it to the semis, and was facing a guy I beat last year. The rule was laid out before we shot the course: "In law enforcement, hits don't count - neutralizing the target is required. If it doesn't fall, keep shooting until it does." Started with a steel popper (hit), then onto the Star...missed first shot, hit the next two. Four shots fired = reload. Three targets to go on the Star, and almost no movement. Fired at the next remaining Star target, and smacked it dead center with a 200 grain +P .45 round from my duty Glock 21. Result? IT DIDN'T FALL!!! Shot it again so it fell, then cleared the last two on the Star - but now I'm out (4 round magazines SUCK).

As I'm reloading again for my final target, my competitor drops his final bowling pin target. I failed in my bid to repeat as agency Top Gun because I hit the target TOO WELL. Apparently, the spring-loaded device holding the target in place allowed the plate to bow outward, then snapped it right back into place because there was no sideways torque to my hit on it.

The guy who beat me head-to-head in that course is our new agency Top Gun for this year, and he won a new Glock 27 Gen4 pistol for his efforts. Bitter? Nah - still in the top 4 shooters of an agency with 1800+ gun-toters...just needed to vent a little. LOL

• 2 weeks later...

I shot a Polish Plat Rack (rotating bar with 4 plates on top and 4 on the bottom) the experienced shooters told me "Shoot the top first, 2, 3, 4, 1, then do the bottom 2, 3, 4, 1). OK, for someone who can shoot straight, that's great. It took me FIVE magazines (40 bullets, also shooting SS!)

I hit the last plate after the bar stopped rotating and the plate was at the very bottom, sitting there mostly motionless, I hit it and the slide locked back on my last magazine ... hit it with my last round!

Well, if nothing else, I got kudos from the other shooters for sticking to it and not just giving up! LOL!