Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

?'s about STI pistols

titandriver

Can anyone tell me what year STI started using MIM parts -- if in fact they do -- in their Open pistols? I bought an Edge a few years ago and the thumb safeties lasted only a couple of weeks before snapping into pieces. What parts would typically be MIM?

Thanks!

Rich

The thumb safety breaking has happened often on STI's I am not sure why.

No issues with our stock Eagle so far, the other two guns have the ed brown safeties which seems like a popular upgrade.

I am almost certain that not all but most thumb safeties out there are MIM, however some tool steel or machined safeties can be had from EGW, Wilson, Nighthawk to name a few.

There will be Better info from our resident smiths'.....

• 3 weeks later...

If the part in question is MIM, you should be able to see ut by looking closely. It came from a mold, so it will have mold lines somewhere like a cast piece. You may also see small holes which are where the material is forced into the mold and where air escapes.

MIM is a TERRIBLE choice for any part which is long and thin and subject to extreme torque. A safety lever should be tool steel as should the extractor or any other long and thin part. The reason is that the primary defects inherent in the MIM process are:

1) Non uniformity of grain size in the metal particles.

2) Air voids (bubbles)

These can and do cause weaknesses. On a thin part subject to a lot of stress, it will fracture at the weak point. On larger parts like the triggers and hammers on SW guns, I have never heard of an MIM induced failure.

However, it's also possible to make tool steel parts that break by over hardening or using poor quality material.

Edited by bountyhunter