Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is This Gun Idpa Esp Legal?

dirtypool40

ok, forget I mentioned it.   :unsure:

I'll shoot the classifier, and have lots of malfs, come in under the radar as a marksman....that'll win friends won't it? B)

Perfect!

(Just don't wear a USPSA/IPSC shirt/hat. That get 'em suspicious every time!)

Later,

Chuck

PS: One of the ironies that I have seen at IDPA matches: "Concealment" garments with gun patches sewn on... :wacko:

This looks like a job for the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy! From the rulebook:

(cut)

EXCLUDED Modifications (NON-Inclusive list):

1. Full length dust covers of carbon or stainless steel.

2. Oversize diameter magazine release buttons.

3. Trigger shoes.

4. Slide lightening (see “slide, lightening” in glossary for further information).

5. Refer to Appendix ONE-A.  Firearms-Non-IDPA-Legal Modifications.

From the glossary:

Slide, lightening: Removal of portions of the slide to gain a competitive advantage.

Soooo, I guess if the guy checking the gun can be conviced that removing material from the slide is not slide lightening or at least slide lightning but not an competitive advantage, the gun should be fine.

Just go, keep it under your hawaiian shirt, and shoot. Club match should be fine but maybe not at something bigger. (Especially now that you brought it to everybodys attention here!)

Good Luck,

Chuck A1062

I don't know about you guys , but I always figured "slide lightening" would be something like this from novak's handgunner outlet.

Those mill cuts in the photos are more of a visual mod , imnsho.

ymmv

Mark

Mark,

Fully agree with your point of view but if you run into an official who is into literal interpretation of the rules, your screwed! I have been to 3 state matches where they only checked gear at one. I do not win matches, so what I do is not significant to anyone. Now if one was to come in HOA the guy who was HOA-1 may pitch a bitch about the "race" gun. Depends on the local culture, I guess.

Have fun,

Chuck

<some_thread_drift_and_then__I_will_shut_up>

Yeah, I just let my membership expire. I joined in 98. My holster (Safariland 5182) getting DQ'ed was the last straw. Besides, the "realism" thing was getting real annoying. ITS A GAME. If I open a door and see 5 bad guys, am I going to draw and start slicing desserts? NFW, I am going to CLOSE the door, check 6 and split. Besides, I started shooing USPSA Open. Damn, that's fun!

moderator: I am sorry for the rant and I will be good now!

DP: Nice gun!

</some_thread_drift_and_then__I_will_shut_up>

You guys make some good points.

I may or may not shoot some big IDPA matches once I get home. I'm a believer in the "one gun" (or pretty close) concept, and really like this pistol. Yes, the old one was carried. Yes, it saw nightstand duty.

I will not get into IDPA bashing again, but I will say that I think they lacked some guidance at the outset as to "benefit goes to the shooter". Now it's part of the culture.

Seriously though, I do want to go back out and shoot some IDPA with local guys and maybe the FL State match if it's close. I do want to be an abassador, and get some of the guys to come out and try USPSA.

Lastly, as we all know, it is the guy not the gun. I shot a skinny gun in the 03 State and won with that. I just wanna shoot my STI. I hope they'll let me.

To be safe I would just go with a "tri-topped" slide and skip the extra ball end cuts on the flats. Put a panel cut around the front serrations instead. This should get you the same slide weight. It takes away from the Millenium Custom style look a bit but it would be safer.

Don't worry, there are plenty of 2011 guns being shot in IDPA in ESP and CDP. As long as they follow the rules they are no big deal.

You're right again, but as I said, it ain't for the weight, I just think the little ball cut stretches out the lines of the gun nicely. I like the look of a flat topped slide, with rounds instead of tri-topping.

I guess if you have a sensitive enough scale, the tiny french border takes a grain or two off, but again it's there for looks.

Of course not to be the voice of reason or anything, but this would be so much easier if they just said "Do what you want. The gun has to fit in the box with a mag and weight less than x amount. "

Does anyone out there really think the big dogs are winning because of bull over bushing or tunsten over ss? :wacko:

The panel cut for the front serrations is a nice idea though, I might just use that ;)

Come on if they did something that simple and effective it would no longer be IDPA! I have often had a good laugh at a guy wearing a $3k Wilson, Yost, et. al and pointing at my SVI bushing gun and calling me a gamer. It tickles my feet:)

Craig

I wondered when Smoke would check in. WAzzzzup!

And I love it when their $3500 Wilson, Yam, Vickers, or whatever won't run. Yeah that's tacti-coool.

Drooled over your short DC Bedell today when I talked with Dan, great minds think alike. I was close, but it looks like one I ordered a long while ago will finally come in.

And, for International style IPSC (cond 2&3 starts and higher pf) and the occaisional IDPA match (no cuts like yours), I couldn't help but go back to what I had and liked. Wish I had never sold this gun. One reason I did, was that I wanted a custom ser # so that gets fixed this time. :wacko: The original was kind of a spur of the moment thing, and once I had sold it I realized how unique it was and how much I missed it. (Let's hope I realize this beforehand with the right woman, but I digress...)

Dan is a helluva nice guy and still getting my new open gun order when I get home, assuming I have any left from selling this one to my buddy. Don't ask what the rest is getting spent on, not yet. :blink:

Anyhoo, I will make sure whenever I head out to IDPA I have this AND a skinny gun in the car in case the "style police" try to award me a "time out" for too nice a gun.

I gots kiluh skinnies too. B) One in .40 and one in ACP, so they can't switch and hide. ;)

You're right again, but as I said, it ain't for the weight, I just think the little ball cut stretches out the lines of the gun nicely. I like the look of a flat topped slide, with rounds instead of tri-topping.

You are preaching to the choir. I'm having Derek build me an Open gun as we speak and I'll probably go with his signature cuts. They are nice.

All my suggestions are from experience seeing what goes on at IDPA matches. I shoot a very trick SVI Cross Competitor in 9mm for ESP and it is setup on exactly what I thought was legal at the time. The new rules specifically disallow the pinned grip safety but I haven't figured out a fix for that so until then I guess USPSA will get my money. Hopefully you don't have that problem.

Here is a crappy pic of my gun. In person it is a beauty. As you can see it fits in the box as configured.

post-2144-1123105398_thumb.jpg

post-2144-1123105585_thumb.jpg

Dude, I am so sad to hear you talk about selling that gun. (I was crying for a while which delayed my posting) I actually had a printed picture of it to just drool over. You should have your ass kicked in for letting it go. Oh well. It brings in a helluva excuse for making another one.

As for letting go of Mrs. Right a buddy of mine and I have a saying...

"THEY'RE ALL SISTERS!"

Take care my friend, Craig

yeah, like I said the idea was born as a stop gap measure while I was waiting on two others I had ordered from a gs who will remain nameless. It was also the first gun I had Derek Build.

I didn't know how good Derek was. My buddy just fell ass over tea kettle in love with it, and when the others were ready I needed money to pay them off. The other ones didn't turn out so well in the long run, one was posted here as "snake bit".

So my buddy takes it up to Quantico for trianing and IPSC on the weekends. An old trainer buddy of his pops a chubby and just like that she's gone again.

I get this one juuuuust the way I want it and with custom ser #, she'll stay a while.

In unrelated news, someone above talked about using the box as a start in IDPA. This is not a bash on IDPA, but that is the dumbest, most unsafe, most UNREALISTIC start possible!!! It smacks of lack of creativity. I've seen it in a couple of major matches and it never fails to disgust me. The box is supposed to be the MAXIMUM size a gun can be, it ain't for starts!!! Almost ANY 1911 style gun, or a G35 for that matter, will be too tight to be safe in there loaded. ARGHGH!!!

The new rules specifically disallow......

Aside again, and maybe it's just growing pains, but funny how having to constantly chase the rules, updated hourly by fax and email, has made IDPA more of an equipment race than IPSC ever was.

Wanna get an earful? Ask a revolver guy about IDPA. :rolleyes:

Well at least USPSA in the last 10 years or so. There was plenty of equipment race when there were no divisions.

Don't get me started on the IDPA rules! :ph34r: I took a break from IDPA this year and it's been nice to shoot a less subjective sport. I love not having to guess what the rule of the day is or the stage designers "intent" or how this SO will interpret the rules on this stage. So refreshing!

• 1 month later...

The new one is almost done. Should be here for it's shakedown cruise tomorrow.

Here's a funny detail; STI WILL NOT do a custom ser # on a light rail gun so there is no reason I should have let the first incarnation of this one go. Well, lesson learned. :(

Pics and their own thread here.

post-551-1128452433_thumb.jpg

Edited by dirtypool40