Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bobtailed 2011, is it possible?

Ryan

So, like the title says, is it possible to bobtail a 2011?

I'm moving back to florida and would like to upgrade my carry piece. I love my bobtailed dan wesson commander but would like lighter weight so I was thinking about the new S&W scandium frame bobtails. But then I was thinking about higher capacity and I always loved the STI VIP but wanted a 4.25" barrel so that kinda led me to the tactical in 45. But concealing the full length grip can be a pain so I was thinking of bobtailing an STI tactical in 45.

This would be my first 2011 and I am unsure if they have a standard MSH like my para and just an over-sized retaining pin, or if there was some other proprietary MSH design.

Thoughts?

Are the mainspring housing pins in the same place? If so you could install a bobtail MSH and then cut down the grip to match. Or just carry as is like lots of people do.

It would require drilling a new hole for the MSH pin and reshaping but I don't know if the 2011 has a standard MSH. I guess that's the main question.

Once you carry bobtailed you wont go back!

I have some experience in chopping the 2011 grip. The MSH's are not standard 1911 MSH's. It can be done but it is what I consider a full blown gunsmith job. The existing MSH can be bobtailed, but after relocating the retaining pin and shaping it the spring hole will be exposed and will need to be filled and shaped. You could buy a VIP, the have a commander top end installed. Then you have both. Could even do caliber conversion too.

I would do it by using the plastic 2011 MSH and making a delrin plug for the exposed spring hole. Shaped and checkered/stippled the plug would be nearly invisible.

If you search "Hacksaw 2011" you'll see how I accomplished the VIP grip length and Commander length slide.

Hello: Why not just get a STI VIP in 40 and be done with it? Get a good quality with a slight cant and problem solved. Thanks, Eric

Oh, but that would be way too simple. I am no fan of bobtailed guns either, but that is just me.

Hello: Why not just get a STI VIP in 40 and be done with it? Get a good quality with a slight cant and problem solved. Thanks, Eric

I'm stubborn and want a slightly longer barrel and full length grip with the concealability of the vip grip ; )