Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Issue with Wolf Primers

chrisman17

I bought a ton of Wolf primers when it seemed thats all I could get a few months back.. Now I'm finally reloading brass with used Wolf Primers. The weird thing is, every 500 rds or so that I load, about 10-15 have primers that wont come out. The decapping pin goes straight through the case basically pops the top off the primer, leaving the side walls in the case. It's become a pain in the ass with my 650 on the downstroke. Any ideas why this is happening? Thanks

its a long shot but by any chance did you force large pistol primers into small primer .45 brass? i know its almost impossible to do but i have managed to do just that on an old phelps machine when those pesky spp brass slip through the batch

its a long shot but by any chance did you force large pistol primers into small primer .45 brass? i know its almost impossible to do but i have managed to do just that on an old phelps machine when those pesky spp brass slip through the batch

No, thats definitely not a possibility. thanks though

That is called a ringer and usually happens when your brass gets wet and the primer corrodes. It weakens the primer and freezes the sides of the primer pocket to the sides of the primer. Did your brass get wet at some point in time?

Neal in AZ

You might take a look at the end of the decapping pin and if it is somewhat "pointy", file a little flat on the tip. Don't remove all the curve on the sides, just a small flat area where the tip would be.