Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mini Red Dot on a Shorty

Todd B.

Hi Everybody,

Have any of you installed a slide ride sight on a Shorty? I'm thinking about adding a Delta Point and a comp to an old Para based .38 Super gun that's been sitting in the safe.

I really enjoy shooting Limited, so this would be just for fun - not USPSA. I'm trying to make the sighting, balance, and feel be as close to my Limited as possible. Right now, the 5.5" barrel and comp feel really long and nose heavy.

I'm also thinking of cutting the slide back and adding a lighter comp to lighten it up and improve the balance.

thanks,

-todd

I feel there's too much dot vibration in my slide mounted red dot during the firing process; however, it does offer a low sight option and a so a similar orientation to iron sights. It is also light. It also increases slide weight and so a lighter recoil spring may be required for reliable function. Considering the different aspects of a mini red dot, it will obviously be closer in feel to a limited than a frame mounted C-more or the like.

If you aren't really going to use it for Open, just put the MRDS on it. They are generally a lot more accurate than open sights, if they weren't, all the Sharks in Bullseye would not be using some sort of red dot sight.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everybody,

Have any of you installed a slide ride sight on a Shorty? I'm thinking about adding a Delta Point and a comp to an old Para based .38 Super gun that's been sitting in the safe.

I really enjoy shooting Limited, so this would be just for fun - not USPSA. I'm trying to make the sighting, balance, and feel be as close to my Limited as possible. Right now, the 5.5" barrel and comp feel really long and nose heavy.

I'm also thinking of cutting the slide back and adding a lighter comp to lighten it up and improve the balance.

thanks,

-todd

I used to have a factory comped Sig 229 Sport in 357SIG. I mounted a slide ride Pride-Fowler Spec Ops mini on it for shooting open auto at my local club. I was shooting exclusively factory ammo (just about all are 125g at 1350 FPS) which is somewhat punishing for a slide ride red dot. Followup shots just are not as fast compared to a rail mounted C-More. And actually I could shoot my Limited Bul M-5 IPSC in 9x23 faster. If you are just playing like I was and you have the gun then why not try it out.