Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bully Barrel Comp question

galt11

To all those that have one of Ray's great uppers for their 41s, how are you cleaning the comp ports? I made the mistake of firing a few thousand rounds before cleaning the comp and it was very clogged with lead etc. I tired everything I could think of including soaking the comp overnight in shooters choice with no luck. After speaking with Shooters Choice, the only other suggestion was using heat, which I am not sure I want to try.

So, how are you cleaning the comp on your BB?

Has anyone tried getting the internal part of the comp coated with something like ionbond to make cleaning easier?

Thanks

Adam

I assume the comp is aluminum? I wouldn't heat it. I have a Marvel with a steel comp. When it's time to clean it, I use a small cutter on a dremel. You wouldn't want to do that either with aluminum. How about ultasonic? I have a Hornady magnum ultrasonic that has a heater in it. If you were to submerge the comp in a shooters choice bottle and then submerge the bottle in the ultrasonic with water in it, it may just work.

I assume the comp is aluminum? I wouldn't heat it. I have a Marvel with a steel comp. When it's time to clean it, I use a small cutter on a dremel. You wouldn't want to do that either with aluminum. How about ultasonic? I have a Hornady magnum ultrasonic that has a heater in it. If you were to submerge the comp in a shooters choice bottle and then submerge the bottle in the ultrasonic with water in it, it may just work.

I haven't tried the ultrasonic route, but that may be a great idea. Thanks

Adam

• 9 years later...
14 minutes ago, galt11 said:

I believe I read that option in another thread and it was voted down as the bead blasting would damage the comp itself?  I don't know, just asking.

Not at all.  It also depends on the media and pressure.  I use it all the time on alum. 

4 hours ago, echotango said:

Not at all.  It also depends on the media and pressure.  I use it all the time on alum. 

Thanks for the info.  I'll have to look into that as its really clogged at this point and would like to get it as clean as I can.

Can you suggest what media and pressure settings you would recommend, so if I can find someone who can do it, I can pass along the info?  Thanks

Edited by galt11

I am assuming that you are trying to get out a lead buildup inside the comp. If so, trying scraping out as much as possible with a small screwdriver the use the ultrasonic cleaner. In have found that Mean Green from Dollar General works well. But not for an extended period of time if your comp is aluminum.If its steel, have at it.

Bead Blasting will definately clean the comp...but it will also remove any anodizing if your comp is aluminum.

On 10/20/2020 at 10:40 AM, galt11 said:

Thanks for the info.  I'll have to look into that as its really clogged at this point and would like to get it as clean as I can.

Can you suggest what media and pressure settings you would recommend, so if I can find someone who can do it, I can pass along the info?  Thanks

again..if it is aluminum,  the anodizing will be taken off. I use 140 grit glass beads set to 60psi..anything over 60psi the glass beads breakdown on impact.

now if it is steel...i used 60 grit aluminum oxide to make short work of it. I set it to 80-85 psi