Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

C-More sights; why so large?

JonF

Specifically the overall body dimensions? I understand why having a larger lens is good, but the overall length and height of these are quite bulky; is there technical reason for that or is it more a design choice? Compared to say a Burris Fastfire which is able keep the LED emitter closer with no controls other than a power button, its footprint is significantly smaller. I'm trying to decide which to mount directly on a .22lr steel challenge pistol upper rail and not sure if there are any inherent advantages to the larger c-more sights beyond the obvious on-paper differences. Does the emitter-to-lens have any effect on dot stability? What about having it cantilevered farther over the gun?

Burris.... C-More

-------.... -----------

Smaller.... Larger

Lighter.... Heavier

non-adjustable dot.... adjustable dot

lower sight-over-bore.... higher sight over bore

smaller window.... larger window

one dot size (Small).... multiple dot sizes (different models?)

Edited by JonF

The basic design has not changed since 1992 (I think) when they were first introduced. There is no reason that I can think of that would prevent a Docter/Leupold/STS sight from having a similar size lens to a C-More but with their smaller body size. When the sight first came out it had the integral mount (the serendipity) so that may have dictated the overall height of the unit, but I can't think of a valid reason to keep the existing setup.

The first company to make a Docter/Leupold/STS type sight with a comparable lens to the C-More is going to take a lot of business away from them in the IPSC/USPSA arena.

The prototype C-more units were made in 1990, with many used at matches as early as 1991. So compared with the other optics of the time it was way ahead of the competition. Today it it still probably the most reliable, I will just let the others "test" all the new stuff out there before I make a change..............

The gun i'm using is a Buckmark. I actually have a fastfire that i've been using for some time that i bought primarily due to its light weight and compactness. I really was wondering if i was missing out on anything not obviously inherent with the C-More style sight. It now appears that the overall form factor of those sights is a byproduct of the era of its design and as folks said, has remain unchanged for a few decades since its "good enough". I think i'll hold off on changing anything as the CMore style doesn't seem to net me anything substantial other than the enlarged field of view. I would love to have that extra glass but perhaps with a more compact "intermediate" design that incorperates a small housing with a large glass.I see the new Leupold Deltapoint is closer to this but still not as large as a big CMore.

I've always wondered how the company could sit on it's design for over 20 years. I've tried them, tried the Doctor/Jpoint design and I keep coming back to the old Tasco...I guess I'm just old fashioned..or maybe just old :)

• 4 weeks later...