Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 index glitch

I ran into a new and less than exciting problem yesterday. My press began to periodicly skip indexing the shellplate.

I'm used to the usual issues around indexing, like debris or a stuck ball, or lack of lube. This wasn't the case. The shellplate was moving freely without being loose, and was indexing perfectly without the need of the locating pins to nudge it into final position.

That is when it moved at all. About every 50 cycles, the shellplate simply didn't move at all.

Later I'm going to have a look at the indexing lever cam. I've never pulled it off, so it should probably be a good place to start. I've cleaned the old grease off and relubed, but never pulle it off the press. Thbis seems like the most likely place to start.

I'm also going to double check the linkage from the P/W autodrive to make sure it's not slipped, and is still gong stop to stop.

Chances are that part 13705 is damaged. I had one get torn apart on my 1050 using an autodrive. I ended up having to get the entire indexing arm because the pin would not budge to replace the part.

Brian

Chances are that part 13705 is damaged. I had one get torn apart on my 1050 using an autodrive. I ended up having to get the entire indexing arm because the pin would not budge to replace the part.

Brian

That's my guess as well. This morning I took the arm off for a look, and regreased the shoulder bolt while I was there. The Pawl has a pretty distinctive gouge in it about 5 mm below the tip. However, it travels freely within it's normal range.

I ran another 500 cases through without a repeat of the indexing problem, so I have no idea if I found the cause or if it's going to rear it's head again. I'll probably start a list of spare parts to order.

Problems always rear their ugly head.

One possibility, if you can live without the press, is to have Dillon do a rebuild on it. I think they were charging $100-120 for the job. They also seem to KNOW if you have been Auto-Driving the press.

• 2 months later...

Brian

Holy Heck! What a PITA!!!

I see what you mean. This friggen pin just doesn't want to budge. I have to get a new tapered point starter punch, as my current pin starter just ain't cutting the mustard.

What sometimes happens when using auto-drives is the pivot pin bends,naking it very difficult to drift out. You might find it easier to drill the pin out instead, and replace both the pawl and the pin.

I have a suspicion that might be the case. In playing with the part, the indexing arm looks brand new, but the pawl seems to have an oval hole as I get more than just simple rotation around the pin.

OK, new pawl installed, 2000 cycles and not one hiccup.

Yep, the pivot hole was stretched beyond oval. I also discovered that the toolhead spring that I had replaced was far more tired than I realized. I suspect that might have had a hand in the problem.