Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

In defense of Single Action.

robot

Are you guys as speechless as I am? My only conclusion is that he hasn't shot competitively before.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=442853

He is obviously unaware that A. It takes him more than a "quarter second extra" to cock the hammer and B. A slow DA will still be faster through the plates than cock readjust the hand, acquire the sights and shoot.

I beat a thumb cocker on steel stages shooting a snubnose Model 10 that I was point shooting due to the loads being so high above the sights. I fired more rounds and he still lost. I believe in practical shooting thumbs are for reloads or moonclipped schofields! :roflol:

wow - epic stage! I'd hate to clean the plates, then run out of ammo at the end. :angry2:

Anyhow, it looked like a 200-ish point stage, so one could really lose the match on those plates. This seems like one of those very rare situations that if you felt you had a chance of making them in SA, I'd say go for it. The advantages of making the hits on those plates with a bit slower SA shots could easily outweigh faster DA misses: Loke took 29 seconds and 2 extra reloads to get through the plates. His first round through took 6 seconds. Had another shooter shot the plates clean (SA or DA) in, say 15 seconds (more than twice Loke's first run), I estimate Loke would end up @ 80% to the other guy, all else equal. That's a lot of points to lose.

All said, though, those were some tough shots (how far were they?) under pressure, so for most USPSA wheelgunners, "composure" is more valuable than a hammer spur.

Tom

On a tough long shot on steel, I would always rather roll through a nice DA pull than risk yanking the trigger in SA mode.

Of course, it's hard to thumb-cock without a hammer spur. And hammer spurs are for midnight cowboys.

One thing that you are not taking into account is that the poster is not talking about speed but accuracy. And what the poster is not taking into consideration is the "acceptable sight picure" varied from dicipline to dicipline. And the post was in a different forum which may or maynot be speed IPSC/ICORE/STEEL CHALLENGE orientated. No I am not speechless. Apples to Apples, Oranges to Oranges, you could make a case for what we take as acceptable risks, but they are not for all of the shooting sports. Just may take on the situation and it took me a long time of reading the posts to get the drift of what the original poster was getting at. :sight: Later rdd