Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning the Crude

southtexaswoman

Sorry but I don't know my parts well enough to say what I mean. I have stainless revolvers and the area where the barrel meets the frame and sticks out a little where the cylinder lines up with is all cruddy looking. What is a good way to get in there and clean that area?

I think you are talking about the forcing cone. It tends to get black along with little circles on the face of the cylinder. I've always used Flitz metal polish paste and a little elbow grease to clean those areas up on my S&W 625 and 629. All it takes is a dab of Flitz on a clean patch, rag, or small piece of paper towel and then just start working it on the area with your fingers. Re-apply a little Flitz as needed as you rub and it comes off. You don't need to scrub really hard, but moderate pressure and just keep working the areas and it will clean right up. You can wrap a patch, with some Flitz on it, around the tip of a toothpick or dental tool, to get down into the seams where where the forcing cone meets the frame if you need to.

Just use Hoppe's and a brass gun cleaning "toothbrush".

Simple and it doesn't remove any metal that lead removal product does. It does take some effort though.

+1, just remember to were your safety glasses