Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taylor Freelance Extensions

JeffWard

I got 3 Taylor Freelance extended baseplates for my M&P 40 Limited build. No matter how much sanding and shaping I do on the followers, I'm getting +4 with the factory mag spring, and +3 with the recommended extra-power spring...

What am I missing? TF website and SSS website BOTH claim +5... I want my 20 round mags!

Jeff

I just loaded 19 with the extra power mag spring. I'm going to fiddle with it tonight and see what I have for you in the morning. At 19 it falls just short of loading #20. I will try the factory mag spring and if that doesn't work I will look at the extension itself and then the follower.

After a lot of looking at and working with this issue I have come to this conclusion. If you want to get 20 rounds in a magazine you need to look at and do the following.

#1) Check to see if your followers are the newer type that have the hump in the middle of them. If they do then you have a problem! I believe the extensions were designed with the old followers and didn't take that hump into account. I did extensive work on one of the new followers and still came up short. I used both factory and extra power mag springs and it made no difference.

You can either choose to live with 19 rounds after beveling coners of your follower with a file or:

#2) You can switch your followers with the older type that does not have that hump. You still have to bevel the corner edges of the follower but you can get 20 rounds in with the extra power mag spring or the factory spring. The good news is the old followers in 9mm mags will also work. They are the same follower!

You have to bevel the corners at the bottom of the follower because the corners of the extension do not follow the corners of the magazine. To see what I am talking about remove the follower and spring from the magazine and just fit the extension on. Now look into the inside of the magazine at the corners with a flashlight. It's not much but that is one reason you are having issues. Once you have that taken care of and gotten rid of the hump in the follower you can load 20.

Just one bit of warning. They are starting to put out 9mm followers with that same hump. Make sure, if you order any, that they are the older type.

Good luck.

Edited by dcarter

If you are just shy of 20, you may be able to cut a coil off the spring and get the added room to load that 20th round. I did that with my STI mags and it worked great. Still have plenty of power to feed the bullets and have never had a hiccup with them.

Now, I don't know about your gun but...

I shoot Limited with a Glock 35 and have tried both Taylor and Arredondo extensions and neither will give me the full 20 rounds and still be able to seat the mag with the gun in battery without it binding when it cycles. I've talked with both companies about this (as well as Dawson) and they say that there are no so many different versions of mags and followers that it's impossible to guarantee whether or not that last round will fit. At this point, I'm considering following the advice of others (like Heckler) and starting to trim the spring back a bit and see if that works. At the worse, I'll have to replace one spring.

The really strange thing is that I can put one of the Taylor +8 extensions on my G35 mag and it will actually hold 24 rounds - that's +9. Go figure.

Just one bit of warning. They are starting to put out 9mm followers with that same hump. Make sure, if you order any, that they are the older type.

Good luck.

Yeah, you'll need good luck to find the older followers. I've been looking and can't find any. The new ones really suck in the 10 round cripplemags.

With my 170mm 9mm extensions, I had to bevel the corners of the follower to fit in the extensions. Otherwise, the 170mm extensions were only +4 or 5. I also had to sand out the inside of the extensions to make the transition between the mag body and extension smoother.

This was about 14 months ago... and I had an identical experience with both of my extensions. In my experience, the beveling of the follower is mandatory. Not just for capacity, but for reliability as well. If not done, it would occasionally snag at different points of its travel on the 9mm follower.

• 2 years later...