Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 commander spring weights

pangris

Totally competition unrelated - I'm building a commander (caspian slide and caspian Ti frame) and am looking at springs. I personally use Wolff but see a lot of people here like ISMI.

Are they both so good that it is personal preference, or does one have an advatage over the other?

For a carry commander that will see hardball or +P ammo as the regular diet, I was going to use a 20 lb recoil spring, 23 lb mainspring, and EGW flat bottom stop to retard the timing that last little bit. Any other words of wisdom?

Wish me luck, I hope to get it to 30 ozs!

Those are the stock spring weights for a Commander, so it should be fine. You'll know for sure after you shoot it with your carry ammo and see how it shoots and ejects. The proof is in the function!

• 1 month later...

HI,

I was using hardball ammo in my Commander .45, and had some ejection issues with the 20lb wolff (not variable). I have switched to an 18 lb wolff variable and bought a 16 lb variable as well. I know it is mostly load related, but I feel you should have a few "Springs in the Bag" to cover your bases.

My .02