Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to Loading 40, on a SDB

JeffWard

For now (until I get a 650...) I will be loading for my new M&P40 Pro on my square deal. I will be using range brass, out of lotsa Glocks. I understand I will have issues, unless I use a undersized die to full-length size and deprime.

I guess lots of guys just have a single-stage press set up for this???

What's the best BUDGET solution, until I get the 650, which full-length resizes, for fixing Glocked 40 brass?

Thanks Guys!

Jeff

Get a Lee FCD, their Bulge Buster kit, and a single stage press.

Run cases through that, and chamber checking is pretty much a thing of the past.

So I can buy a Lee Reloader Single Stage, ($29 at Midway), and the Bulge Buster Kit ($20 from Lee), and I'm DONE???

Push 'em all through, the load them up on the SDB?

Jeff

I saw the Bulge Buster Die at Midway. Is the catch bucket (kit) just a pain? Do they press through, and you grab the sized one from the top, and place a un-sized in the press? Or do you have to place it, press it, remove it, repeat?

Jeff

I saw the Bulge Buster Die at Midway. Is the catch bucket (kit) just a pain? Do they press through, and you grab the sized one from the top, and place a un-sized in the press? Or do you have to place it, press it, remove it, repeat?

Jeff

I saw a picture recently that showed what looked like a piece of heater hose used to carry the finished case to a container. All the user had to do was place the next case a pull the handle.

I've loaded close to 10k rounds of Glocked .40 brass (nickle cases) through my SDB. I don't do any other steps. Clean, lube, load. I would suggest trying the press first before spending money on other gadgets. I don't think the M&P's have tight chambers.

If you get that setup you would need the press, buldge buster and factory Crimp Die(you will remove parts from this), preferably the carbide. The container the buldge buster comes in is the collection bin it just goes on top of the press. Lube isnt needed with the carbide but I would use a little one shot as it makes it MUCH easier even with carbide dies

I understand I will have issues, unless I use a undersized die to full-length size and deprime.

Depends. This is one of those ideas that has taken on a life of it's own.

For one thing, it's not just Glock brass. A lot of .40 brass has a slight bulge.

As to problems, that depends on your gun. Make up some dummy rounds with your SDB resizing die and drop them into your chamber to see if they fit. Unless you have a tight chamber, they will probably be OK.

For What It's Worth !!

All the single stage presses are not created equal, in how they create power.

A econo Lee has more power than a Green RCBS that cost 3 times as much, go figure.

I use a Factory Crimp Die and the Lee kit.

Fault - Makes your arm and hand sore after 500 or so cases.

If your gonna do this get a press that has some brute power in the leverage/linkage system, like ones designed to load .500s.

My thoughts and opinions,

Perry

My 40 M&P will shoot range brass no problem. The S&W 610 requires the bulge buster kit to get the cases to drop in reliably. The brass that I resized, goes into a bucket and is only used in the revolver after that. Have you loaded any on the SDB yet?

Edited by pstew

• 2 weeks later...

Follow-up to my own post/question... I've loaded about 700 rounds so far on my SDB with mixed range brass, and I've had a grand total of TWO not chamber-check...

NO ISSUE WITH THE M&P!

Sweet...

JeffWard

• 2 weeks later...

Follow-up to my own post/question... I've loaded about 700 rounds so far on my SDB with mixed range brass, and I've had a grand total of TWO not chamber-check...

NO ISSUE WITH THE M&P!

Sweet...

JeffWard

That's awesome! Have they all run in a match with a mag all fully loaded up? When I sold you the dies, remember that thing I said about the tolerance stack up? All of my rounds would case gauge, but when I put 20 rounds in a Tanfogilo mag, the first 5 would nose dive and hang up on the feed ramp. After I started single staging my brass on the EGW U-die I had no problems. This was before the GrX and Bulge Busters. Happy shooting!

~Mitch