Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 625 Misses Cylinder Lock w/fast trigger pull

bill87123

Just purchased a 625 and when you pull the trigger slow or moderate everything is fine, timing, lock up, etc. However when you pull the trigger hard and fast the cylinder skips past the lock and can end up anywhere. The spring in the lockup tab seems fine, I switched the lockup block and spring with another one and same problem. The internals are spotless and well oiled. The cylinder grooves look good. The lockup tab does not seem to be binding on anything. The only thing I have not tried is to also put the trigger from my other gun in there to see if maybe the trigger is holding onto the lockup block a little to long but it does not look like it is, just not sure if the hand would still be in time well enough to actually try that. The only minor out of the ordinary thing I can see is that the lockup block does not rub perfectly in the center of the cylinder but is back just slightly. I am at a loss... any ideas?

Ah....my old friend Skip Chambers returns to the forum. Do a search for lots of information on this topic.

If the cylinder stop and cylinder stop spring have been replaced, the likely cause is peening to the notches on the cylinder. If you look very closely at the little ramps that lead into the cylinder stop notches, there will probably be little built-up lips of peened metal right at the bottom of each ramp. Those little lips will cause the cylinder stop to literally jump over the notches. Use a round ceramic stone or a small cratex tip on a Dremel tool and get rid of those little lips, and you should be fine.

To help prevent the peening from returning, be careful not to slam the cylinder closed any harder than necessary. We have observed that the guys who have had the most trouble with this peening are the guys who do a lot of dry-fire and reload practice, with a full-on palm slam to close the cylinder every time.

Thanks for the response, there were some burrs on the back side of the cylinder locating grooves that I removed and there might have been some small burrs on the front side of the grooves right at the end of the ramps I don't really remember. I will have to check it out tonight.

I have heard great things about your hammers and trigger work... I might just have to send this thing to you here soon.

Ah....my old friend Skip Chambers returns to the forum.

Thanks for the advise about Skip, it looks like I was finally able to evict ol Skip Chambers. It was not as easy as a burr on the cylinder, it was not as easy as replacing the cylinder stop, in fact it became a personal battle with me and ol Skip. Turns out the cylinder stop was dragging on either the trigger or the frame and not wanting to return pass the point where it just barely made contact with the cylinder. So took just a little off the sides and ol Skip Chambers left the house!

Now lets see how it shoots.