Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My index isn't as cool as I thought it was

There is a lot that happens from the draw to your final shooting grip.

The good news is that at the end of the movement I'm there - dot on the target. The bad news is that the dot comes from up, down, and sideways to settle there.

Dry firing with my limited gun I was "waiting patiently" until my sights settled. Okay, my world was a happy place. Now that I'm dry firing with an open gun, I'm thinking "HOLY S%#T" where is all that extra INCONSISTENT movement coming from. My dot looks like a monkey trying to F*&k a football from five different directions before it settles where it needs to. I can't believe how sloppy I was being and I didn't even notice!

more to work on ...

Sounds like we might all benefit from doing some dry fire with a dot on the gun, even if we only shoot L/L-10/P.

By the way ... I'm never going to be able to look through a dot scope again without thinking monkeys humping footballs. ARGH! :lol:

OTOH, if you are bringing the dot to the point of aim after the extension from every direction, well...

I haven't really thought about it that way. The inconsistent thing is what really bothered me the most. I'm starting to smooth it out though. I'm getting the dot to come down from the upper left rather than from all over the place.

I really have to admit though that my drying firing index with the open gun is helping with my limited work ... wow. I'm alternating each and ending up doing about half and half total during each session. It helps that I have STI frames on both guns so nothing else changes except the top end of each gun.

I would put one of them down till I learned the other to the best of my ability..

I would, but they're both sooo cool! Johnny built them for me, I'll have to post pics sometime. To make it worse, I need to work in some glock and .45 time since my first IDPA classifier is coming later this month.