Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Schuemann compensator

Tzygä

pretty much same comp i have. except my Gunsmith, who is a machinist as well, made it cause it was cheaper that way. same exact style. im running a 3 port schuemann hybrid Bbl as well. i like it, but i have not been able to get my hands on 3n38, which works best with the hybrid setup. heres some video of mine in action. shoots pretty flat.

I have one and absolutley love it. Very flat shooting. I am using a Schuemann Hybri barrel with no hybri ports. The dot doesn't move with my load. 124gr MG JHP, 8.3grains SR4756, CCI small rifle primers, Starline brass, 1.235 OAL

You can't go wrong with this comp!

Nice video user293.

Ivipscshooter I also have Schuemann Hybri barrel with no hybri ports and I am shooting 9 major load using VV 3N38 powder. Currently I am using Bedell titanium comp but I like to have little bit bigger first port. Have you drilled any side ports for the comp or did it works just great without them?

Thanks you for your answers. B)

img2492ii.jpg

I have one that Frank Glen drilled 2 side holes to help out on the side to side movement. Not much spray on the glass either because the first port is at an angle. It's the cone style with a 1/32 twist Shuemann Classic Barrel.

Great pic OpenDot thanks!

Did you drill first one side hole and then shoot you gun and after that decided to drill second hole or did you just drill both side holes at the same time?

If you drill first one side hole which one did you drill first (first port or middle port)?

Nice slide you have OpenDot how wide are your slide holes and how far a part they are if I may ask? They are 90 degree angle for the slide right. Do you have more pictures for you nice open gun somewhere here in this forums?

If it need side holes I was thinking drilling one side hole for the middle port and do some shooting after that.

Is there difference for if I drill side hole in front of the port or in the middle of the port or in the end of the port where I decide to drill side port.

Thank you for you answer I ask because I don't want to ruin my comp. :unsure:

Edited by Tzygä

The Schuemann comp looks identical to the Millenium comp, I had the chance to try the Mil, its not so effective for my 9 major, but good for the 38super using hydbrid bbls. replaced it with a EGW 4 ports and add 2 side ports as advice by George of EGW. Now in runs soft and flat.

ffgats is your EGW comp 4-port EDM Comp Price: $199.99 Product ID : 11801 or CNC 4-port Compensator Price: $124.99 Product ID : 11820-11822?

Is it your comp cone or bull barrel?

I think bull barell comp EGW call hybrid am I right for that? :unsure:

Are you shooting straight barrel with 9 major ammo without hybrid holes?

Thank you for your answer. :)

its a CNC 4 port comp for bull bbl, the EDM is a little expensive for my wallet, but Im sure its very good. With the MILL.comp,the comp was not forming a "JET" maybe because the first chamber is a little too big, although its very soft, its just let the gas escape. However its very effective on my 38super,with 2 bbl ports. Tied using HS6,AUTOCOMP, N350 and 3N38,and the 3n38 was the most effective for the MILL COMP on my 9 major. Had the chance to try HS7, and its almost identical than 3n38 even much better,with this powder I dont have to fill up my case 9.4gr. By the way, as recommended by George og EGW, I asked my smith to put a side ports on the last chamber.

It's only a few dollars cheaper, but the Dawson DP-2 is my favorite for either 9 major or 38 Super. I have not tried the Schueman, however I will say that the design is consistent with current thinking in Comps, much like the Brazos and even the Dawson. The Bedel is a diferent design philosphy.

This comp design gives more soft than flat, and if you look at the Brazos Custom OPen gun you will notice he uses 4 small popel holes. I discussed comps and poppel holes with Bob and he stated that the poppel holes give you the flat.

I don't like poppel holes and don't use them unless it is the only way to tame the beast, but they do in fact help with the flat especially during the early part of recoil. The problem with 9 major is you don't have a lot of room for overloading it to get the velocity up if you have too many poppel holes.

You need to call EGW back and talk to them about the Jim Hand comp that they make, I have not tried it, but I have heard its the cats meow for 9 major. It looks very interesting, not sure what it weighs but it looks to be a bit on the heavy side.

Edited by CocoBolo

its a CNC 4 port comp for bull bbl, the EDM is a little expensive for my wallet, but Im sure its very good. With the MILL.comp,the comp was not forming a "JET" maybe because the first chamber is a little too big, although its very soft, its just let the gas escape. However its very effective on my 38super,with 2 bbl ports. Tied using HS6,AUTOCOMP, N350 and 3N38,and the 3n38 was the most effective for the MILL COMP on my 9 major. Had the chance to try HS7, and its almost identical than 3n38 even much better,with this powder I dont have to fill up my case 9.4gr. By the way, as recommended by George og EGW, I asked my smith to put a side ports on the last chamber.

yea my gunsmith originally told me to run hs-7 in my super when he handed it over to me. too bad they dont make it anymore. i have a feeling it would run nice in my gun. but 3n38 just plain old rocks in a hybrid setup. it was made for it!

CocoBolo I ask to EGW about making Jim Hand comps for bull barrel and here is the answer "We can make a special run of Jim Hand comps but it would be more money and 4 month’s time." I do have heard that Jim Hand comps might be nice to shoot.

ffgats I use also 3N38 powder. I used to use 3N37. 3N38 is not moving slide so fast than 3N37. 3N38 moves dot better up and down motion and are more constant. 3N37 is flatter to shoot but not so constant dot movement.

CocoBolo I ask to EGW about making Jim Hand comps for bull barrel and here is the answer "We can make a special run of Jim Hand comps but it would be more money and 4 month's time." I do have heard that Jim Hand comps might be nice to shoot.

ffgats I use also 3N38 powder. I used to use 3N37. 3N38 is not moving slide so fast than 3N37. 3N38 moves dot better up and down motion and are more constant. 3N37 is flatter to shoot but not so constant dot movement.

I've not run 3n38, along the same lines I ran AA#7 10gr w/125 but after all the smoke cleared I found that 7.6gr of Silhouette behind a 124gr Montana Gold CMJ set @ 1.165 with SPM primer, works best in my Dawson Comped guns, HS6 and Auto Comp are ok as well but that dirty reverse temp sensative Silhouette just works the best. I drop the load to 7.4 when it is cold. I run a 10# spring in my cone guns and a 9# in the bull barrel guns. The dot stays in the A-Zone. I thought that 3N37 was a bit violent., same goes for N350, and IMR7625. AA#7 was flat and soft but I got tired of slinging powder and letting it decide the OAL @ 1.185

Dawson makes the DP-2 in both bull and cone, it will need to be align reamed once installed on the barrel. The only comp that I found that is screw on and shoot is the Brazos Thunder Comp II and the Thunder Comp III which is a 4 port, they are also very light and if you catch Bob at a match they are on sale for $100. The ThunderComp II needs a couple small poppel holes to help it, I have one of the 4 ports on a 38 Super barrel, but I have not had time to shoot it, the gun is loaned out going to Idaho for a major match, but being shot in 9 major with a DP-2.

CocoBolo I ask to EGW about making Jim Hand comps for bull barrel and here is the answer "We can make a special run of Jim Hand comps but it would be more money and 4 month’s time." I do have heard that Jim Hand comps might be nice to shoot.

Tzyga,you can try lightened the slide and a lighter spring maybe it will move the slide a little bit faster,.with the new EGW COMP, I can be more flexible when it comes to powder choice. ( 3n37,n350,3n38,hs6,hs7, Maybe the Mill comp is more design to work with the 38supers, where you can put more gas vol.

ffgats my slide weights 289g. I think it is 10,194 oz so it is preatty light but can be little bit lighter also (maybe 5-6g lighter no more). I use 8g aluminium racker with it.

I use 8lb. ISMI recoil spring so it is also so light than it can be.

It would be very interesting to have titanium Schuemann or EGW Jim Hand comps for bull barrel. :P