Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So I shot the stage like I didn't care about time

Standby!

At my 2nd USPSA match, I lumbered around the stage like I didn't care (Did the dame thing in the forst one)...meaning time was not present, or at the time it didn't matter. I have video proof, and after viewing the video I noticed how casual I walked to engage each set of targets. I call it "dues" meaning I cared more about safety (because it was only my second match)and accuracy than speed. So my times were slow but my safety and accuracy were good. After I received the match results I compared each stage with the class winner(production) and found my accuracy was on par, or in most cases better. I also compared my accuracy with some other classes and found more similarities in accuracy.

I'm an unclassified shooter, and plan to join the game officially soon. Maybe this should not be in the "goof up" thread, but I suppose the point is, it takes less effort to smile than it does to frown. Rather than focus on the negatives, I embraced the positives. I have a few friends that are A & B class shooters in single stack, and open. They have adopted me so to speak, including me in their squad and guide me in my endeavors. I will post the video soon! Thanks for reading.

Edited by Standby!

Excellent...go for accuracy at first, then learn to turn up the speed. Smooth is fast...so learn to move smoothly as fast as you can and concentrate on that front sight. Learn to move with intent, don't flop and jerk like a dude with epilepsy. And make your path from A (beginning of stage) to B (end of stage) as short as possible. Speed and time rules after accuracy speaks.

You'll get there...just learn the basics, then go for broke.

Excellent...go for accuracy at first, then learn to turn up the speed. Smooth is fast...so learn to move smoothly as fast as you can and concentrate on that front sight. Learn to move with intent, don't flop and jerk like a dude with epilepsy. And make your path from A (beginning of stage) to B (end of stage) as short as possible. Speed and time rules after accuracy speaks.

You'll get there...just learn the basics, then go for broke.

I understand..building the foundation. Thanks!

Rule #1 is be safe. You have to walk before you run so take your time and learn the basics. When your plan starts to come to you naturally. You start making reloads on the move while keeping the muzzle down range without having to think too hard. You do not even think anymore about keeping the muzzle down range because it always is. Now you are ready to start running because the safety part is coming to you naturally.

USPSA is one of the kings of multi-tasking sports, you have a lot of skills that have to be mastered if you want to be competitive.

Rule #1 is be safe. You have to walk before you run so take your time and learn the basics. When your plan starts to come to you naturally. You start making reloads on the move while keeping the muzzle down range without having to think too hard. You do not even think anymore about keeping the muzzle down range because it always is. Now you are ready to start running because the safety part is coming to you naturally.

USPSA is one of the kings of multi-tasking sports, you have a lot of skills that have to be mastered if you want to be competitive.

I totally agree, and I'm hoping some of my background from other multi-tasking sports will help me along.

Here is my second match (total) held on Fathers Day this year, at the Old Fort Gun Club in Fort Smith Arkansas. One of 6 stages. I welcome feedback of all levels, I have thick internet skin. :D I feel it was a success on all levels (I made it through 6 stages in high temps without dq, and learned a lot)

Edited by Standby!

Only thing I saw that I would mention is the way you lower your gun on transitions. When you were behind the barricade, after engaging the first targets and going to your right, it looked like you swept your feet. Pull the gun into your chest then push it out, quicker to pick up the sights and no fear of sweeping.

Only thing I saw that I would mention is the way you lower your gun on transitions. When you were behind the barricade, after engaging the first targets and going to your right, it looked like you swept your feet. Pull the gun into your chest then push it out, quicker to pick up the sights and no fear of sweeping.

Thanks for the tip! I will remember it...I bent at the waist but you can't tell from that angle. But I will use the draw into chest method..it makes sense.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my second match (total) held on Fathers Day this year, at the Old Fort Gun Club in Fort Smith Arkansas. One of 6 stages. I welcome feedback of all levels, I have thick internet skin. :D I feel it was a success on all levels (I made it through 6 stages in high temps without dq, and learned a lot)

This doesn't belong in the Match Screw-Ups forum. Everyone starts out like this. I sure did. I started out by trying to shoot each stage clean, mostly because that's the kind of shooting I was used to beforehand. Now, 9 months later, I'm starting to build the speed in after drilling the crap out of draws, reloads, transitions, etc.

Now, I said all that before I watched the video. I don't know what you're complaining about, you actually look REALLY GOOD for it being your 2nd match. Like vluc said, don't use your gun like a golf club. The only other thing that's even worth bringing up is your grip/stance. Are your elbows locked out? If so, I would highly recommend keeping them bent. Locking them out places too high of stress on your elbow joints, instead of the muscles in your arms. Other than that, quicker reloads and faster stage movement will come with experience and repetition. The speed of your actual shooting is great.

This doesn't belong in the Match Screw-Ups forum. Everyone starts out like this. I sure did. I started out by trying to shoot each stage clean, mostly because that's the kind of shooting I was used to beforehand. Now, 9 months later, I'm starting to build the speed in after drilling the crap out of draws, reloads, transitions, etc.

Now, I said all that before I watched the video. I don't know what you're complaining about, you actually look REALLY GOOD for it being your 2nd match. Like vluc said, don't use your gun like a golf club. The only other thing that's even worth bringing up is your grip/stance. Are your elbows locked out? If so, I would highly recommend keeping them bent. Locking them out places too high of stress on your elbow joints, instead of the muscles in your arms. Other than that, quicker reloads and faster stage movement will come with experience and repetition. The speed of your actual shooting is great.

Thanks! I have a little bit of what some would call a disadvantage as far as grip/stance. My right arm is nearly 3 inches shorter than my left due ot the ignorance of youth, a bicycle, a sheet of plywood, bricks, and too much time on my hands! I try to make a conscious effort not to lock them out. I appreciate the kudos, and since I've posted this I have attended 3 more matches.

The most recent was an all qualifier match, except for one 32 round all steel stage. There were 50 entrants and I placed 16th overall, in combined divisions and 8th out of 20 in my division (production).

I'm very happy with my how things are progressing! :D

These were the stages at the last event:

Stage 1 - Paper Poppers

Stage 2 - Steeler Standards

Stage 3 - Crackerjack

Stage 4 - Gloden Bullet Standards

Stage 5 - Times Two

Stage 6 - No Paper - all steel 32 rds two texas stars, 3 plate racks, 4 standard poppers

There were no golf clubs being swung at this match.

Edited by Standby!

You should be!

As to your disadvantage, it might be, but probably not if you work out a grip that works for you. It is certainly nothing in the face of the natural talent that has allowed you to pick up the sport so quickly ;)

You should be!

As to your disadvantage, it might be, but probably not if you work out a grip that works for you. It is certainly nothing in the face of the natural talent that has allowed you to pick up the sport so quickly ;)

Thank you Sir! ;)

Definitely not a Match Screw-Up. I'd be quite pleased if I "screwed up" my second match as well as you did! :cheers:

I'll add a comment/suggestion and that is to strive for smoothness in your motions. This will come in time and with practice, but thinking "smooth" is a good place to start. All of your actions/motions after the buzzer should be a continuous flow until you're finished.

Strive for a smooth draw, engagement, reload, transition (physically and visually) to the next array, etc...

You can check out the Tips sub forum and post future videos there. The same good folks will be around for future critiques.

Definitely not a Match Screw-Up. I'd be quite pleased if I "screwed up" my second match as well as you did! :cheers:

I'll add a comment/suggestion and that is to strive for smoothness in your motions. This will come in time and with practice, but thinking "smooth" is a good place to start. All of your actions/motions after the buzzer should be a continuous flow until you're finished.

Strive for a smooth draw, engagement, reload, transition (physically and visually) to the next array, etc...

You can check out the Tips sub forum and post future videos there. The same good folks will be around for future critiques.

Thank you! I appreciate the kudos and the tips!! :cheers: