Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

open revo

jhshooter

I am just getting started in the world of wheel guns, but I love them so far! As I sit at work here I am pondering what to do with some of the revos I recently picked up. I have my 625 off for some action work it is dubbed for ESR and USPSA revo division. For SSR I have a 686 and a GP100. That leaves my 627, 8 shot (4 inch barrel). I was thinking about making this a limited 10 gun for USPSA and Limited ICORE I believe would also work; however, I was getting a crazy thought about open revo division (ICORE, and I am just dumb enough to take it to USPSA and shoot in open as well). I have plans for this to go to someone (most likely CARMONEY) for action work. and was going to send the cylinder for moon clip conversion. For open I would of course look into a new barrel, any thoughts?

Hi jhshooter,

I don't think you would need a new barrel for Open ICORE at all--as long as you find a load that is accurate in your gun, the lighter stock barrel should be a benefit in draws and transitions, and since you'll be running a scope, sight radius is not an issue.

If your gun is the 627 model that isn't cut for moonclips, you will want to send the cylinder to TK Custom to get that done, of course. Then get the action slicked up, stick a C-More on it, and you will be good to go!

Trust me--everything else the guys do to their Open revolvers is purely for show.

I am just getting started in the world of wheel guns, but I love them so far! As I sit at work here I am pondering what to do with some of the revos I recently picked up. I have my 625 off for some action work it is dubbed for ESR and USPSA revo division. For SSR I have a 686 and a GP100. That leaves my 627, 8 shot (4 inch barrel). I was thinking about making this a limited 10 gun for USPSA and Limited ICORE I believe would also work; however, I was getting a crazy thought about open revo division (ICORE, and I am just dumb enough to take it to USPSA and shoot in open as well). I have plans for this to go to someone (most likely CARMONEY) for action work. and was going to send the cylinder for moon clip conversion. For open I would of course look into a new barrel, any thoughts?

You are totally nuts!!! Welcome

Edited by underlug

Hi jhshooter,

I don't think you would need a new barrel for Open ICORE at all--as long as you find a load that is accurate in your gun, the lighter stock barrel should be a benefit in draws and transitions, and since you'll be running a scope, sight radius is not an issue.

If your gun is the 627 model that isn't cut for moonclips, you will want to send the cylinder to TK Custom to get that done, of course. Then get the action slicked up, stick a C-More on it, and you will be good to go!

Trust me--everything else the guys do to their Open revolvers is purely for show.

I was kind of wondering why someone would spend close to $500 for a barrel on a revolver? The only thing I was thinking is those 50 yarders with a 4 inch barrel..but thanks for the advice, maybe in my later years if I have money to throw away I can look at maybe my revo look cool with a fancy barrel :)

Thanks and I guess you know to finally expect a gun from me sometime in the near future (as soon as I get the cylinder off and back from the moon clip conversion)

Jordan

Thank You! is it because I shoot revo, or wanna shoot open revo? lol

Thank You! is it because I shoot revo, or wanna shoot open revo? lol

Yes.

(It is because you are going to really fit in with the best people in shooting)

I am just getting started in the world of wheel guns, but I love them so far!

Welcome aboard from a relatively new wheelgunner! :cheers:

Don't I know you from somewhere jhshooter? :ph34r: ............. :D

I am just getting started in the world of wheel guns, but I love them so far!

Welcome aboard from a relatively new wheelgunner! :cheers:

Don't I know you from somewhere jhshooter? :ph34r: ............. :D

GSWEAR,

I think we may have met...haha Happy 4th Greg

I have an open 627 v-comp that mike worked on. I think it would be tons of fun fo something like the Pro-am if they had a revolver division. Not sure how competitive you would be in USPSA open division. I shoot mine for steel matches and for icore.

• 2 months later...

Open revo is like dating a goth chick.

Few guys wanna try it, even fewer go thru with it, and only a handful of weirdos enjoy it.

It wasn't my cup of tea. I guess I've always preferred a more "dressed down" and "sturdy" kind of gal. That's why my 625 and 686 see the most action. But every once in a while, ya gotta give something crazy a try. It just may be your thing!

Open revo is like dating a goth chick.

Few guys wanna try it, even fewer go thru with it, and only a handful of weirdos enjoy it.

It wasn't my cup of tea. I guess I've always preferred a more "dressed down" and "sturdy" kind of gal. That's why my 625 and 686 see the most action. But every once in a while, ya gotta give something crazy a try. It just may be your thing!

I like Goth, in a dark sorta way :rolleyes:

jhshooter,

I may be joining you in open real soon. I think I'm going to just throw an optic on my 4" 66 for the time being, since I have speedloaders and everything setup and ready for it. I set this one up for IDPA and don't have any close matches, at least that I ever get my lazy butt to. And I have a 6" 686 no dash that I might just go full blown open with if I like it. Now if I can just make up my mind which optic to use? :huh: