Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Redding competition seating die and Molly?

Recently purchased one of this..

No matter how much I flare the case, the redding die will shrink the flare and my mollies get shave around the upper edge of the grease ring..

Is this a known issue?

Do any of you guys that load Molly use this die?

Are you seating and crimping in one operation? If not it sounds like you need to back the die out to remove the ability to crimp the case and screw the seating plug in a bit deeper to compensate. If you are seating and crimping in one operation then STOP, get yourself another seating die and use the Redding just for the crimp.

I use a Lee die to seat my Moly bullets and the Redding Competition die to crimp them.

I have a set of Pro Series in .38/.357 and I thought they machined my seating and crimp dies too small. Seems these dies are set up for jacketed bullets, as cast/plated are usually .001" over jacketed. I like to put a pretty good flare on mine and found the seating die would take most (not all) of it out when seating a bullet. Then it would be snug going into the crimp die too. I just started making sure I line up the bullet straight and it works. I took some measurements on them and e-mailed Redding about it. They told me what they machine them to and it was the exact same measurement I got. They also said they would polish them bigger if I wanted them to. I have a few WCC military .38 cases that I picked up somewhere, they are a real pain in these dies. Good commercial (Win, Rem, Fed, etc.) works fairly well though. I haven't sent them in yet as I may just go to MG's in Starline brass. They will be perfect for that combination.

I have a set of Pro Series in .38/.357 and I thought they machined my seating and crimp dies too small. Seems these dies are set up for jacketed bullets, as cast/plated are usually .001" over jacketed. I like to put a pretty good flare on mine and found the seating die would take most (not all) of it out when seating a bullet. Then it would be snug going into the crimp die too. I just started making sure I line up the bullet straight and it works. I took some measurements on them and e-mailed Redding about it. They told me what they machine them to and it was the exact same measurement I got. They also said they would polish them bigger if I wanted them to. I have a few WCC military .38 cases that I picked up somewhere, they are a real pain in these dies. Good commercial (Win, Rem, Fed, etc.) works fairly well though. I haven't sent them in yet as I may just go to MG's in Starline brass. They will be perfect for that combination.

This is the problem I'm having.. The redding die will remove to much of the belling and the grease and the upper edge of the grease ring will get slightly shaved..

I think I'm going to switch back to the dillon die..