Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

reloading is fun

i am new to this and i like it. trying to find out to load a specific round. trying different sources to find that right setup for the bullet. i have a dillion 650xl and loading some montana gold bullets for .45acp. trying make that power factor for uspsa. i am almost there.

Reloading is a great way to save money when shooting alot of matches. Do you own a Chrono? If not, invest in one. This will allow you to know what PF your loads are and adjust them.

blcksmk, i do own a chrono but it seems to be off from a friends chrono. i don't know.

ckfarris, i have to agree with on the addicting part.

if you have a "cheap" chrono (as i do), it may be a good idea to make your rounds 135 (minor) or (175) major, to ensure that they will meet power factor at a match, regardless of descrepancies in your chrono vs. theirs. but for local matches, they may not ever really test them.

Mr Big Dog -

Most of the solutions you seek are very simple...

• 45ACP OALs are fairly well defined due to the 1911 design. If you use a 1911 you won't want to vary much from the suggested OAL.

• Don't load by the bullet maker, but rather by the powder maker. So if you are using Hodgdon or Winchester powder, then go to the Hodgdon web site. Then follow the powder maker's load for the bullet closest in description to the one you've chosen. So if your MG bullet is a 200gr jacketed, then you might find a Sierra 200gr jacketed listed in the powder maker's data. You can then use that load range and OAL if you begin at the "starting load" and work upward.

Of course the Sierra doesn't shoot exactly like the MG, but starting 10% lower more than makes up for that. Then you simply load 10 rounds each in incrementally increasing loads until you meet PF. For example, if the load range for your powder suggests 4.3gr to 5.4gr max, you'd load 10 rounds at 4.3gr, 10 rounds at 4.5gr, 10 rounds at 4.7gr, etc. Shoot them in the same order. Stop when you make PF and unload the unused ones.

• The biggest issue with chronos seems to be placing the unit to close to the gun. I have to place mine at least 10 feet away to keep the muzzle blast from giving false readings.

All the best! ;)