Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI .40 for IDPA

MikeyG23

OK guys, I'm still on the 1911 fence and after much discussion and research have started to think that maybe a STI doublestack in .40 may be the way to go instead of 9mm. Part of the reason I am leaning this way is that it seems almost everyone has feeding problems with 9mm. How do the 10 round .40 mags work ? With the popularity of the .40's in USPSA & IPSC my thinking is that there has been more development and innovation for the .40's than for the 9's. ????

9mm should work just fine if it is made right and your mags are good. If you are going to to shoot both IDPA and USPSA a .40 wouldn't be a bad choice if you got a bushing barrel it would be legal for USPSA Limited and L10 and IDPA. If you are going to be strictly IDPA 9mm would be the way to go because of bullet cost, and the biggest cost in shooting is the shooting.

my 9mm STI has been nothing but fun...it has been flawless since the day I picked it up..that has only been a couple of months..but out to the range every week for a 100-200 rounds..and nothing but holes in the A-zone..

Duane, didn't you have problems recently with an STI Eagle in 9mm ?

Trust me I would rather stay with 9mm but only if I'm not going to have a ton of problems with magazines. I'm too much of a die hard Glock shooter to want to buy a $$$ gun and have to constantly tweak and tune it. My 1050 is already set-up for 9mm and I have a bunch of bullets and brass to go with it but the press can be converted and new components bought if that's what it takes.