Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RSS Feeds?

I don't know anything at all about RSS Feeds. But I attached a screenshot of the controls in the ACP, in case that helps you, or anyone else, understand.

It looks like just individual forums can be exported.

be

post-171-0-06712400-1309555226_thumb.jpg

I don't know anything at all about RSS Feeds. But I attached a screenshot of the controls in the ACP, in case that helps you, or anyone else, understand.

It looks like just individual forums can be exported.

be

Instead of creating individual RSS feeds for each forum it appears the administrator selected all sub forums and included them as a single RSS feed? Hard to tell from limited detail. You really need individual feeds. It is pretty much useless the way it is as you will be overwhelmed with updates.

Brian, this wouldn't address the per-forum question, but since we're on the subject, could the general RSS settings be tweaked a bit? Currently, with the "RSS Export No. Items" set at 5 and the Cache Frequency at 60 minutes, only some of the topics are actually hitting the feed. I don't know what the "right" numbers are, but to catch everything, the exported items would need to be higher than the average number of new topics posted per hour.

Edited to reflect topics rather than posts; thankfully it appears IP Board's feed tracks at the topic level, not every post.

Edited by Malchira

Instead of creating individual RSS feeds for each forum it appears the administrator selected all sub forums and included them as a single RSS feed? Hard to tell from limited detail. You really need individual feeds. It is pretty much useless the way it is as you will be overwhelmed with updates.

I don't know much about IP Board specifically, whether sub-forum feeds are even possible, but from the screenshot Brian posted that appears to be the top-level, full-forum feed, and deselecting any of the sub-forums would remove them from being published at all.

I disagree about the overload, because it's only publishing new topics, not every post. The number of new topics is much lower than the total "reply" activity. If it was per-post, it would definitely be out of control, but this way should be fine if the limit is raised; topics should only come up once, they won't resurface when they're replied to.

I've been researching this subject for quite a bit now, and still can't find any straightforward advice on how to set up the ACP for RSS feeds to get what you guys are looking for. And I don't use them or know anything at all about them, so that isn't helping our cause.

I'll ask IP if they can give me some help.

be

It looks like I will have to manually create an RSS export for every individual forum, which would take an incredibly long time, since we have 280+ forums.

So how about, for those that care about RSS feeds - post a list in this thread of the forums you'd like RSS feeds for.

Okay I'm learning more about this topic. To see if this is where you want to go, I changed the RSS feed to just export forums for the FAQs, News & Updates Category of forums.

If that works more toward what you guys are looking for, let me know and I'll create an RSS feed for each of the forum's Categories. (Beginners, Shooting, Technical, Shooting Sports & Travel, etc.)

be

Seems to be working nicely at the roll-up/major category level. Not to harp on it, but still appears to be limited to five topics. That's actually probably sufficient for the FAQ section, but it'll be overrun in the more active categories.

Either way, thanks for working with it, much appreciated!

Seems to be working nicely at the roll-up/major category level. Not to harp on it, but still appears to be limited to five topics. That's actually probably sufficient for the FAQ section, but it'll be overrun in the more active categories.

That makes sense, and I was thinking that also (after I got it working on my end so I could see wha it actually "did.")

What might be a good topic number for a larger, more active Category of forums, like Shooting, or Technical - 25, 50, 75?

I just set the Shooting Category to export 50 Topics.

I would appreciate feedback on that from anyone who uses RSS feeds frequently.

The numbers look good! The current categories appear to be covered; 50 is probably high, looks like 25 would be sufficient. That might not be the case for Miscellaneous, with more sub-categories and the classifieds included, but I'd bet 50 would cover those.

Thanks for the feedback.

I reduced the exported threads to 25, for every category except the Miscellaneous forums (those are at 50).

I added the last two categories (Shooting Sports & Travel and Miscellaneous), and also added a separate feed for Match Announcements - Pistol/U.S. Nationals.

If anyone has any suggestions on fine tuning any part of the exported feecds, let me know.

be