Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Whither Steel?

shred

Something we got to pondering after the last steel match was; "Why aren't there more local steel matches?"  They're dead easy to set up, score and tear down, don't cost much to run (beyond the steel) and new shooters are much more at ease starting with one of those than a full-blown IPSC match.

There are even "no-draw-needed' .22 categories, no minor/major, revolvers are on a somewhat more level playing field, and hi cap mags certainly aren't required.  You could even draw those heaps of single-stack race-guns everybody claims are gathering dust in the backs of safes (# we've seen: 0)

So, why aren't you shooting steel matches locally?

• 2 weeks later...

Shred, I am in fact working to introduce Steel Challenge style stages at our local action pistol group here in San Jose.  For about $500-$600 you can buy 5 12" round steel plates and stands or you can put them together with a little work.  Yesterday I purchased 5 12" round plates at one of our local steel recycling cenetrs for $15.00.  I plan on using steel tubing, some auto wheels, and some hardware to put together 5 round plate targets.....I'll let you know how it goes.  If anyone from the SF bay area is on this forum and interested send me a private message and we'll talk.

It basically takes a few dedicated people to really get on it....go out and get the steel made, maybe even front the money at first.  A few matches and you can get paid back, then it's just a matter of running it.  That's how it was done here.

http://www.orss.org

A good place to get steel made is like a CC or highschool metal shop.  If they have a CNC burner, they can just set up a sheet and bang them out....