Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

90-95 Grain Bullets With HS-6

DyNo!

I had 150 90gr bullets sitting around and several pounds of HS-6. I loaded them with 8.2 grains of powder out to 1.120 over Winchester primers.

The data says they'll go about 1413 FPS.

I won't be able to shoot them until next week - anyone have any experience? Recoil/Fouling/Power

How well could 90-95 grain bullets knock down steel going at 1400 FPS? (Not MGM spinners or anything terribly heavy, just 4x4" plates, Texas stars, and pepper poppers)

I did the search, didn't see anything with this combo and usage.

-Cameron

Edited by DyNo!

I love the MG 95 JHP up with N320 and got them up to about 1350. I was forming my Steel Challenge load and they were really dinging the steel. I went to the plate rack and the plates there was zipping down. Never got to try 4x4 or anything but from the reaction of the plates, I'm sure they will knock down most plates.

I am thinking of getting a couple kegs of HS-6 for my 9Major loads so please let me know how your loads perform with HS-6. I might be able to use one powder for both loads. Thanks!

Guys knocking down Poppers reliably happens around 135-140pf , DyNo you are at 127pf that is marginal. If they have a Crono well you could easily go sub minior.

Edited by CocoBolo

I have a few scars from the 90 gr rem bullet going a bit more than 1400 in a buddys gun . in fact his loads got banned from use a few years back at Steel Challenge.

The bullet imploded and cam back had to get it cut out of my arm

I have a few scars from the 90 gr rem bullet going a bit more than 1400 in a buddys gun . in fact his loads got banned from use a few years back at Steel Challenge.

Alamo has run a local steel match for over 20 years, I think he knows steel shooting as good as anyone.

Alamo has run a local steel match for over 20 years, I think he knows steel shooting as good as anyone.

If its JHP then I can understand, but if you can get round nose bullets

I think it might do the job.

Really? What stage were you on? Where is this rule or prohibition listed? Was this a single occurrence or did it happen multiple times? How large was the chunk?

If it was going that fast, I wonder why it did not break apart like it should have, hmm?

Any information you can provide would be nice to hear - thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

There's no power factor in most outlaw multigun matches.

Got back from testing them today - they were going at 1432 FPS average with 26 FPS standard deviation between rounds. 1469 was the high FPS and 1403 was the low FPS.

Recoil was MINIMAL. With my 6.6 grain HS-6 124 grain bullet 148 PF minor load - the dot jumps to the top of the window but does not leave it. With this load, the dot would stay in the A zone at 27 yards.

Ejection was reliable but as weak as it could be while being functional (shells literally rolled out of the gun). My gun is heavily sprung and I'll be reducing the spring weight quite a bit - probably into the single digits. I'm pretty sure the spring in it now is 10-13 pounds.

I didn't have any steel to test it on but my plan is to take a box of full powered 9mm major ammo to matches just like I'd take high brass 12 gauge.

They were printing fist sized groups at 27 yards offhand. These bullets were IMI 90 grain pills and I'd hope that I'd get similar results with 95 grain MG FMJ bullets. I will not change the powder charge with the heavier MG bullets as the gun is set up to shoot 9mm major and pressure is not a concern.

IMI 90gr FMJ

8.2gr HS-6

Win SP Primer

Winchester Cases

1432 FPS AVG

26 FPS S/D

1469 HI / 1403 LO

Schuemann AET Barrel, standard length and no popple holes.

My 9mm major uses the same powder charge but will use a 124 grain MG CMJ bullet out to 1.160. It is 1380 FPS with 13 FPS S/D.

Edited by DyNo!