Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question on HP Ink Jet Printer

I have a WELL used HP model 845C ink jet printer. (I've printed many---many tens of thousands of pages with it)

Yesterday out of the clear blue my print quality went down the tubes. I took out the black ink cartridge and the bottom of it is covered with a big blob of ink.

I wiped it off replaced it... and after one page of printing the "blob" was back... so I ran all the maintenece programs in the tool box and tried two more new cartridges.... they all do the same thing.

Could I have 3 bad cartridges at the same time or is my machine dead???

Any ideas ????

Thanks in advance.

Mark

I had one of those....a long time ago. Think I had the same thing and ditched it. I also did not like the 2 cartridge system. I have since owned (2) Canon printers. One iP4300 which I broke the USB connector center on while moving it for use at a big match and my current iP4700. I like the multiple cartridge system better and have not had the black blob problem on either. Printer speed and quality is far better than the older printers from just 3-4 years ago.

Lee

Unless you just have to have color, dump the inkjets completely and get a laserjet printer. I just got a HP p16016dn network laserjet for about $116 from HP direct. (Regular $199. That special is probably over, but doesn't hurt to look.) It's not much bigger than the previous 1020 and 1012's that I've been using for years, so it's small enough to carry to a major match for multiple scoring computers to share. You download the windows drivers directly from the printer itself on its internal website. I don't know how often you have to get new inkjet cartridges, but typically I buy 2 toner cartridges a year. Not scoring the Nationals or Area 6 this year, I may be able to get by with just one.

Okay, the 1606 is available from Hp direct for $159 and the perfectly capable p1102w is $99.

Edited by wgnoyes

What is the expiration on those cartridges? It is most likely a printhead problem, but they are attached to the cartridge itself.

If the ink carts are well beyond expiration, that would explain it. If not then perhaps printer.

Are these new hp ink carts or refilled? remanufactured?

The new printers right now are not going to be as efficient on ink... you are paying alot more per page to print with new printers. So hold on to this one as long as you can, unless you need the better print quality.

<---- coming from an HP marketing rep.

The cartridges are brand new HP units bought at Staples.

They expire December 2012.

I called Staples tech center and they said it was 99.99 % likely a print head problem.... especially since this machine has printed many--- many thousands of pages.

One month last year I burned through 3 black cartridges in less than 3 weeeks:(

I'm looking at an HP 6500A on line right now. I can get one of those for $100 with a factory rebate program... and it's a multi-function unit.... which is a good thing because my photo-copier is also on it's last legs.

Any one have experience with that model?????

Edited by MichiganShootist

Unless you really really need color consider getting a laser printer. You can get them for close for the same price, the cost per page is much less and the print quality is actually better. If you only really need color once in a while it might be less expensive overall to get a bw laser printer and have your color prints done at a UPS store or FedEx office.

Unless you really really need color consider getting a laser printer. You can get them for close for the same price, the cost per page is much less and the print quality is actually better. If you only really need color once in a while it might be less expensive overall to get a bw laser printer and have your color prints done at a UPS store or FedEx office.

I would argue with that.

Right now in my office, I am using an HP Officejet 8500. The print system is using seperate color ink tanks, and seperate print heads. Cheaper cost per page than any laserprinter, both black and color.

Michigan, your printer uses an ink system that when you replace the cartridge, the print head is built into the cartridge, meaning when you buy a new cart, you are getting a new printhead.

At this point, I believe the printer is shot.

Office Depot has a $50 trade in program, instore.

Well, I know what's wrong with your printer, and it is not the cartridge. I can't tell you why I know, but... well... I know.

Anyway, your printer has a series of small plastic and rubber parts at one end of the carriage. They are designed to clean, maintain, and keep your print head moist. There are several parts: wipers to clean the pen, scrapers to clean the wipers, a cap to keep it moist, a spittoon to shoot ink into. The printer performs a series of wipes and spits all the time, depending on you (what you print and when). Sometimes it only spits a few tiny drops, other times it wipes and spits many times. Even a brand new cartridge requires some spitting and wiping to get them 'started'.

Now, all this spitting and wiping makes a mess. There is a certain amount of space designed into the system for this waste ink (as much as possible, within reason). For very heavy users that keep their printers for a long time, it is possible for the spittoon to get full (big stalagmites of dried ink form), or the wipers and scrapers to get covered. Once they are dirty, they don't do their job. Usually, the stalagmites get so tall that the touch the print head as it goes by. Other times the wipers actually transfer gooey messy ink onto the printhead. Either way, once the printhead is dirty, it cannot shoot ink properly. Instead of little drops flying through the air and hitting your paper, they get caught on the messy surface and make a bug huge blob of wet ink. That blob of wet ink feeds on itself as more and more ink is printed into the blob. Sometimes you will get streaky black print on the page, getting worse and worse as it goes down the page, almost disappearing at the bottom. Other times, you can even get a huge drop of ink that will touch the paper and make dark black messy streaks.

Anyway, you have two solutions:

1. Take it apart and attempt to clean it. This may sound difficult, but you don't have to remove the working parts, just some of the plastic.

2. Buy a new HP inkjet printer.

I know others on this thread have said to get a laserjet. That is not bad advice. However, be sure you do a cost-per-page analysis. There is an industry standard test that determines the number of 'average pages' you can print per supply (both laserjet and inkjet). It is easy to calculate the cost per page. Generally, the super cheap (and sometimes free) printers actually have a much higher cost per page (more expensive supplies). If you print occassionaly, those super cheap ones are the best value. If you print a lot, the mid-priced office products are actually cheaper in the long run. Check out the cost-per-page, and you may not think they are so cheap.

Oh, and a new mid-priced office inkjet will be much faster than the 845C, but not quite as fast as the laserjet.

I also have the 8500. I love its speed and wireless connection. Of course, I don't really worry about the cost, so I can't comment on the exact financials of that model. It also has some really cool online features, like print via email and scheduled newspaper delivery.

The cartridges are brand new HP units bought at Staples.

They expire December 2012.

I called Staples tech center and they said it was 99.99 % likely a print head problem.... especially since this machine has printed many--- many thousands of pages.

One month last year I burned through 3 black cartridges in less than 3 weeeks:(

I'm looking at an HP 6500A on line right now. I can get one of those for $100 with a factory rebate program... and it's a multi-function unit.... which is a good thing because my photo-copier is also on it's last legs.

Any one have experience with that model?????

I got one for my wife's IPad,

On the plus side

Wireless and will do both printing off your wifi and remotely via direct e-mail to the printer

Ink cost per page is lower than other hp ink jets (well according to the sign at Costco)

Color ink cart. Are individual red, yellow, blue, you only replace the color you need, not the whole thing if 1color runs out

Cons

It's huge, nearly twice the size of the printer it replaced

I'm on my 2nd one, the 1st one broke within a month

The little touch screen my be great if your a 20year old girl with good eyes and skinny fingers, but sucks if your 50 can't see your front sight

and keep fat fingering the damn thing (which also goes for the IPad I just used to post this)