Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

This Makes A Good Iron Sight Rifle Zeroing Target

All you need is a no-shoot and two sheets of high contrast paper:

d4aab867.jpg

With irons, it allows you to see if your front sight is too low or too high since you'll see a bunch of white and two arrows if you're holding low, a bunch of white and no arrows if you're high, and two perfect points if you're dead on.

It can be mounted head-down for a 300 yard zero. You can vary the distances to match your front sight width and 300 yard drop point if you use a 200 yard zero.

:cheers:

Even though I shoot a Prismatic now, it still works fine since it's so visible on 1X.

It took me thousands of rounds and millions of paces to figure out a good way to zero in 20 rounds or less. :roflol:

Edited by DyNo!

In the office supply aisle at Wally world, they sell a variety pack of card stock paper in day glow or fluorescent colors. Also by the paint aisle they sell day glow duct tape.

I went to home depot and got a big roll of brown craft paper. I think it is at least 3 feet wide. When I am first trying to get a gun dialed in at say 50 yards I will put that up first then staple up several pieces of the cardstock over that wide brown craft paper.

Next time I have to sight in an iron sighted gun I'll have to try your target design Dyno.

If you have a red dot (you shouldn't choose red paper if so) or a prismatic, I also found that the triangle above the arrows makes a good sight picture as well.

The reticule on the Prismatic is about 2 MOA and the group is too (minus that one flyer off to the right on both targets - ignored on the second one).

The white area above the two arrows and below the triangle can be occupied by a 2 MOA reticule and it fits nicely for a good precise aiming point.

The sight picture on the first target looks like the circle except bigger (since the average of the group is smaller than the reticule, the circle is smaller):

125a407e.jpg

Top of the target + a touch hold for 300 yard shots on 4 MOA targets:

1cd93ea1.jpg

And funny enough, the group I fired with irons was tighter (it was also moved .5 MOA to the right after the picture was taken):

buis.jpg

http://www.Facebook.com/SpikesShootingTeam

7a3828e8-1.jpg

^^^ are those shotgun shell hulls translucent (semi-transparent)?

back on topic, I have made my own shoot-n-c targets by using 3M spray adhesive to glue a piece of aluminum foil to a piece of cardboard. then I spray painted the foil black. when the bullets hit the foil the surrounding paint pops off.

probably not a real good sight in target because it doesn't have grid lines, but a neat experiment nonetheless.

^^^ are those shotgun shell hulls translucent (semi-transparent)?

That's Fiocchi birdshot - it can be seen through. I use it as shotgun match ammo since I've seen many ammunition related match killing malfunctions with Wal-Mart bulk (That I'll shoot for fun matches but never at a major).

Okay, thanks! Just curious....what was the other forum you posted that on?

And which program did you use to draw that?

3 minutes in MS Paint for the diagram and On Target to calculate group sizes and group center.

Edited by DyNo!

• 1 month later...

Glad you all like it - I'll be making a full length video soon about rifle zeroing.

It occurred to me the other day that I should call my target "the bikini target." :roflol:

Okay, thanks! Just curious....what was the other forum you posted that on?

And which program did you use to draw that?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/539854_This_Makes_a_Good_Iron_Sight_1X_Zeroing_Target.html&page=1&anc=bottom#bottom

Edited by DyNo!