Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

swager on pistol cases

Just got my Super 1050 and Iam loading 40 and 38SC do you need to use the swager with the pistol rounds, or

do you just remove the swager and turn the rod down? I dont have any mil. brass or crimped primer pockets, so I dont

think I need the swager but I am not sure.

Just setup my 1050 today. While you can remove the swager, why not leave it in? Doesn't hurt and might help if a crimped case gets in there.

Just setup my 1050 today. While you can remove the swager, why not leave it in? Doesn't hurt and might help if a crimped case gets in there.

Good point I may just leave it set up.

I have been using the S1050 with swage as it came set up from Dillon for .45ACP. My cases are uncrimped WWB so the swage performs no real function regards swaging. My primers have shown no indications that the swager oversizes the pocket. What I do like is that the backer rod expands the case slightly and irons out the case mouth damage caused from the tight ejection port on my 1970's Colt's Combat Commander. I am loading with 230 grn FMJ/RN. After the case leaves the swager the case mouth is at a diameter that I think would allow me to seat the round without fear of damage to the jacket. I barely need to bell at the powder drop to seat my rounds.

Edited by pmclaine