Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Overtravel screws for shadow and 85 combat

Philo_Beddoe

I have 2 shadows, on one shadow I adjusted the overtravel and loc tited it and have had no problems. The other shadow I adjusted the overtravel screw and loc tited it, however it was not dropping the hammer during live fire, despite dropping the hammer during dry fire.

A guy I met at a match said he has problems with overtravel screw on his shadow moving even with blue loctite and finally just removed it entirely. He felt it didnt make enough difference to risk having problems with it in a match. What are you folks experiance with this?

Edited by Philo_Beddoe

I've had the adjustment on CZ set screws come out a couple times..

I actually TIG'd one of my SAO pistols just a touch to lock it in place. I've used rockset on the others and so far so good, but if my hammer wasn't dropping or if it were following they'd be the first thing I cussed.

On my production gun.... I actually didn't notice a huge difference with the 85 trigger. I mean, I can tell it's there but it didn't improve my shooting any. I actually run a little overtravel in my triggers as I find it helps me from getting a touch sloppy and tossing a shot.

I've been fine with blue myself, but if you're worried about it moving on you, there's always red loctite, use that and it isn't going anywhere... If you need to adjust it or remove it for some reason in the future all it will take is a hot soldering iron touching it for maybe 10 seconds. If mine ever moves, that'll be my move.

Edited to add: if you like where yours is at already but want extra insurance it'll stay put you can use the green loctite (their penetrating-type for using in after-the-fact applications), usually you'll have to go to an auto parts store to find the green stuff, pretty sure it's on par with the red stuff strength-wise and you'll need heat to loosen it down the road as well. It's great for rear sights that you want to stay put too.

Edited by ck1

Alright, you guys are making me paranoid, guess I'll back mine out and reinstall using the red stuff before I become a victim ;)... Though, I'd agree that running without it might be just as good, seems to me the comp hammers take almost all of the unwanted over-travel out of the pull by themselves, think my screw gets maybe 2 and 1/2 turns past not doing anything at all anyway.