Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is a classifier stage?

So I am "new" to USPSA, I put new in quotes because I have shot eight or ten matches and probably 30 plus TNS matches at Rio. I joined USPSA because I am tired of being in "U" class. What is a classifier and if it is what I think, a stage that is setup the same every time for comparison purposes, where are the stages posted on line?

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan, i've probably shot with you out at Rio.

Classifier Stage results on Bay 1 will Rank you with USPSA.

GM

M

A

B

C

D

U

When you have 4 classifiers, your scores depending on your finished results will determin your rank. Now the results posted on Rio's website are accurate for your finish that day... but, when they enter them into the USPSA website is when your score will go down or up depending on the rest of the shooters shooting your division and your class within the entire USPSA shooters...on how you did against them on a national level.

Some of this may be wrong but that's what I got out of the website...if i'm wrong please somebody correct me asd i'm new at this as well.

Dan, is your last name Phipps or Webb? ... i'm Randy Davis

Edited by OpenDot

Dan,

The answer to your questions can be found at http://www.uspsa.org/ . The Rules link will take you to the rule book. The first section of the book covers classification. The Club Support link will take you to the stage diagrams.

Welcome aboard!

Chuck

Thanks, not sure how I missed the link on the club support page (probably the same way I missed the swinger on Sunday LOL), oh well, got it now.

• 1 month later...

So I am "new" to USPSA, I put new in quotes because I have shot eight or ten matches and probably 30 plus TNS matches at Rio. I joined USPSA because I am tired of being in "U" class. What is a classifier and if it is what I think, a stage that is setup the same every time for comparison purposes, where are the stages posted on line?

Thanks,

Dan

As others have said, it's a stage that's setup (ideally) the exact same way at different matches all around the country. The scores of which are used to classify you on a national level in percentage compared to the top scores on the stages, that way you're only competing with other shooters who are at a comparable skill level.

The full list of them is available here: http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-classifier-list.php

Edited by DonovanM

Think of it as a stage that looks deceptively simply, begs you to go way too fast, and humbles you in the end, until you become more proficient in the fundamentals....

This is coming from my personal experiences... On field courses, I can keep up with A class shooters, but standards and classifiers make me realize where my weaknesses really are...

Think of it as a stage that looks deceptively simply, begs you to go way too fast, and humbles you in the end, until you become more proficient in the fundamentals....

Nice! Love the way to put that.