Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can you disassemble Dawson Adjustable rear?

waktasz

This happened to the Dawson rear on my M&P today at a training class :(.

I plan on calling Dawson on Monday but in the even they can't get me a new one by next weekend (I need it to shoot the NJ State IDPA match)

My question is...is it possible to disassemble the moving parts from the base/dovetail part? I happen to have a spare of the same sight, but it has a mangled dovetail. Can I get the top part off and put it on the other sight? It looks like if I drive the front pin out then take out the adjustment screw it will come apart...I'm just not sure if that front pin will actually come out without ruining something though.

D6881129_663_3513486.jpg

I would contact DP first and tell them your situation before modifying the sight.

I will be on Monday but assuming I don't get one for a few days I'd like to be practicing before this match.

Loves2Shoot, is that it? Or do I have to remove the pin in the front somehow too? I don't have tools here with me in my hotel this weekend so I can't really check into it any further for now.

Yes, the top part of the sight is two pieces, that is why it moves when you turn the screw. You can remove the pin and remove the whole upper assembly also, though just replacing the blade would be easier.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

Thank you. I missed your post where you said windage screw at first.

I got it moved over, but getting that tiny (and strong!) spring in and out was really tough. Was there an easier way for me to do it?

Thank you. I missed your post where you said windage screw at first.

I got it moved over, but getting that tiny (and strong!) spring in and out was really tough. Was there an easier way for me to do it?

DO it a few times and it gets easier. I use a little tool that I ground for the task.

How often do you break yours? I'm hoping that I don't have to do this too often.

I've installed many hundreds of the adjustable sights and haven't seen one break like that. We take them apart for coating the sight blade.