Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Squaring" dies

cwsanfor

I need to revisit my die setup, and I noticed some information about "squaring" dies in the press, that is, adjusting them, then applying pressure from the shellplate before locking them down:

http://www.exteriorballistics.com/reloadbasics/resize.cfm

www.sierrabullets.com/techservice/xring/pdfarchive/vol1no1.pdf

http://www.redding-reloading.com/component/content/article/21-tech-line/61-create-a-custom-die-with-a-simple-shellholder-change

exteriorballistics says "This procedure applies to both sizing and seating dies, but should not be used with either carbide sizing dies or benchrest/competition seating dies."

So I wonder:

1) Do you pistol reloaders bother with this, and

2) Why not in carbide or competition dies?

I do this with all dies but not with the shell plate. I have a case in the station and have upward pressure from the ram then lock the die.

I think the carbide deal is from the recomendation that the die not touch the plate, it would crack the carbide insert. I have never had that happen and the Dillon dies have a little bit of steel below the carbide so I don't see how it could touch the carbide anyway.

I do this with all dies but not with the shell plate. I have a case in the station and have upward pressure from the ram then lock the die.

I think the carbide deal is from the recomendation that the die not touch the plate, it would crack the carbide insert. I have never had that happen and the Dillon dies have a little bit of steel below the carbide so I don't see how it could touch the carbide anyway.

That must be why Dillon does it :goof:

That must be why Dillon does it :goof:

+1 on that.

Plus if you put one in the lathe to trim to get a little more sizing length you find there's a crimp on the steel that holds the carbide insert in, or at least that's what I hear :wacko:

I put a flat washer on the shell holder/ shell plate after adjusting the die to the height I want before tightening the lock ring. Just the weight of the press lever is plenty to square the die to the shell holder. This is probably more important with rifle cases than handgun, but I do it for everything.

I am using Hornady Lock N Load Die Bushings, and I had never noticed there is a rubber O-ring under them, which provides some flex to the die position, like a Lee die clamp ring. I'm guessing that will obviate the usefulness of squaring the dies, and that with the Hornady bushings you rely on the sort of Lee/Arbor/Wilson approach of having some flex in the dies. I may try to sort of square them with a machined washer just in case.

I am using Hornady Lock N Load Die Bushings, and I had never noticed there is a rubber O-ring under them, which provides some flex to the die position, like a Lee die clamp ring. I'm guessing that will obviate the usefulness of squaring the dies, and that with the Hornady bushings you rely on the sort of Lee/Arbor/Wilson approach of having some flex in the dies. I may try to sort of square them with a machined washer just in case.

Floating die systems are good to go, no squaring needed. It would'nt do anything anyway.

I was having problems getting a Udie to line up and got a suggestion from a buddy on here to do this. Once I ran the brass up in the die and then tightened it down I had no more hangups in station one!:cheers: