Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Today's 3 Gun Competition vids/ critiques

EurAzn12

I know I was a bit slow on rifle, but please critique my performance. I had two FTEs with the shotgun due to ammo not shotgun, other than that I took first in my division.

It was also my first 3 gun match :rolleyes:

Gear (heavy metal):

FN SCAR 17s

Benelli Supernova

SA Trophy Match

District1-20110528-00400.jpg

Stage 1 shotgun only

Stage 2 3 guns

• 4 weeks later...

For your first 3 gun you shot great.

A few things I always try to do:

Try to do the best you can to memorize the course of fire,I usually see guys loading mags b/s'n the whole time before its their turn.

No big deal if time dosent matter,however I try to keep focused,and dial in the COF.

Show up early,and most the time you can pick the brain of the course designer.

I also see often guys not know where they are at round wise when running the COF,and end up wasting time with an extra rack of the slide.

Know whereabouts your going to load/mag change etc...

When ducking and bobbing in a COF always get a nice solid balanced shot,I often see guys shooting while doing a balerina move.remember no IDPA rules in this game.

Get the best/most solid shot with your rifle you can.

Before you go,take a few seconds and try a few different positions on tables etc..

Take your time on the line,I see people rush and even forget mags!

If you know people at your local range who are quick and better,shoot in their group!

Don't be afraid to ask questions,and have fun!

Nice shootin!

You had too many standing reloads. Stage 4 when you were running from the 1st shooting position to the 2nd you had plenty of time to reload on the move there and you would have had a fresh mag to get you through the rest of the stage. Same with the SG, if the COF calls for more rounds than you gun can hold (which most do), whenever you have to move from one position to the next you should be stuffing rounds in the gun.

Also like on Stage 3 instead of running 5-10 yards to the table and then dropping the mag and racking the round out of the pistol, do it while you are moving so that when you get to the table all you have to do is put the empty gun on the table.

You will pick up several seconds on each stage by doing each of these and they will add up for the duration of the match.

• 2 weeks later...

Good shooting.

I don't use the magazine as a monopod on a table. It works ok when prone, but from a table or barricade, I don't find it stable. I step back a hair and rest the forend on the table. Works well unless the targets are significantly lower than the other side of the table. :D

Like what was mentioned before. If you are moving, reload or ready the gun to discard. Economy in motion is key. Watch some of the big name guys shoot. They don't waste any movement.

• 2 months later...

On the shotgun, if your not shooting you should be loading, its all about round management. Instead of running quickly to a position and then shooting the gun empty/doing a standing reload, walk briskly while loading the gun, and arrive at the position ready to shoot. With practice you can time the cadence of your steps so you always arrive to a position fully loaded. For example if you take 2 shots then move, move fast enough to cover the distance so the last shell is being loaded as you are stepping in. If you shoot 4 and need to cover the same distance slow your steps down so the 4th is going into the gun as you arrive at the position. It doesn't "feel" faster (you are walking instead of running) but it is.

Edited by Filishooter