Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to check for spring fit?

mas

I'm going to replace my stock guide rod and recoil spring and was wondering how all of you check for proper fit? In other words, how do you find a good starting point for lopping off coils?

I've never removed coils from the recoil spring. I usually get 13#, 15#, and 17# ISMI springs. II then experiment with each spring until I find which one suits the loads I am using. I currently use a 15# spring on a full-length tungsten non-captured rod in my model 34 & 35.

Dale Rhea usually throws a factory spring/rod assembly into a drill, and does some "hour-glass" mods to it with a file turning it into a progressive spring. Do a google search for "dremeling your glock" I think Sportshooter.com has the article posted.

thanks, i've read it already....your article was what inspired me to go ahead and give it a shot. funny question, but what do you cut your springs with?

ok, i manned up and successfully used the dremel....I only removed 4 coils on my G19 with a 15 lb. ISMI....I need to remove another coil or two as I am sure that I can yield better results.

thanks for the help!