Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Epiphany

Had an "a ha!" moment recently. I've known for a long time that it's good to "get behind the gun" to absorb recoil but it all clicked for me the other night while I was lying in bed thinking about shooting. I'd noticed in videos that my head and shoulders were jerking back slightly with each shot (production 9mm). I realized as I lay there that the problem is that my big heavy head bone was not stable and the center of gravity of my head was shifting with each shot. To test my theory, I sat up, clasped my hands together and shook them hard in front of me with me head above my shoulders. Naturally, there was a big head wobble. Next I extended my head forward as far as I could and repeated the movement and found my head to be much more stable. Since this moment I've been focusing on keeping my head extended forward instead of just down and the result is that my hits and times have improved dramatically. Simple I know but its making me happy!

Edited by doubleforte78

Had an "a ha!" moment recently. I've known for a long time that it's good to "get behind the gun" to absorb recoil but it all clicked for me the other night while I was lying in bed thinking about shooting. I'd noticed in videos that my head and shoulders were jerking back slightly with each shot (production 9mm). I realized as I lay there that the problem is that my big heavy head bone was not stable and the center of gravity of my head was shifting with each shot. To test my theory, I sat up, clasped my hands together and shook them hard in front of me with me head above my shoulders. Naturally, there was a big head wobble. Next I extended my head forward as far as I could and repeated the movement and found my head to be much more stable. Since this moment I've been focusing on keeping my head extended forward instead of just down and the result is that my hits and times have improved dramatically. Simple I know but its making me happy!

your head should be forward a little bit infront of your center of gravity for this reason. yeah those "a ha moments' usually are just doing the fundamentals correctly. And when you realize it, you wind up saying to yourself "duh"

That is the great thing about video, you can see all the little things, and correct them, that will lead to better scores in the future. Keep it up!

I love those "I got it" moments. I have been discovering them every dry fire and range session. Those small incremental changes (or more correctly executing the fundamentals) makes shooting fun and rewarding.

For me, those "I got it moments" usually come well after someone much more experienced and wtih much more skill has been trying to convince me, and after repetitive session, I finally "got it!)

That is the great thing about video, you can see all the little things, and correct them, that will lead to better scores in the future. Keep it up!

One of, if not the, main reason I try and get video of my matches. I notice all sort of things in the video that I didn't notice at the time.

Edited by jualdeaux