Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

&%$#*& decapping pins

bgary

I have the RCBS universal decapping die. I like it, but have still broken some pins, but almost all from user error. I broke one on a rock that was stuck at the bottom of a case, another on a berdan primed case :blink: and 1-2 more from not lining it up in the case right. I've never broken one from just depriming a hard primer. The lession is make sure you have extras.

That said, I've used Lee dies for almost all my other loading and I really like their collet style decapping pin they have on their FL dies. I might have to try their universal die.

I do mass decapping runs through my 650 because I'm one of those stainless steel tumbling wierdos. Lots of crimped .223 and regular .40.

The Redding decapping die works phenomenally on a single stage press - and that's about it. First time I used it on a 650, it broke in less than 30 cases!

I've badly bent the decap pin and entire stem of a Dillon decap die (something was going up in the press when it should have been going down). Now I keep extra stems and pins on hand. It's either the case not being fully seated into the shellplate and me not paying attention, or there's a rock or 9mm case stuck inside the 40 case.

Case goes up, pin hits rock/9mm case, and blammo!

Good to have spares around.

Lee's got the set up on their sizer, I have broken a couple and would by a few spares when you order the die. Anything can break and it'll do it at the most inconvenient time. More times than not it will just push up rather than break.

I broke my first Lee pin last week. It was my fault, the case had some small gravel wedged in it that had made it through the tumbler and I didn't see it. Ordered two from Midway for $2.99 each and was back in business in a couple of days. I was told if I send the broken one to Lee, they will replace it.