Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee dies worth keeping?

So I've been loading .44mag and .45ACP on my Lee Classic Cast Turret Press and its been working fine, but I want more speed now and I am thinking of upgrading to a Dillon.

I've got the deluxe die sets for the calibers and one unused one for .223 which I plan on getting into later. But that was when I still envisioned myself with the Lee in the future. Now I am looking at the Dillon 550, it seems to be the best for loading many calibers, and I also want to start loading 9mm eventually, so thats four calibers there.

Now what I'm wondering is, is it worth keeping my lee dies, or should I switch to all Dillon? I understand the Lee dies are one of the most liked products that they offer, especially the factory crimp die.

Also I've been hearing that Dillon measures are not that good with extruded powders, I live in Finland which is VV monopoly land so its all I got and metering that type of powder is important to me, my Lee auto disk gets .1 variation with N320, but can jump to .3 with N32C due to the large granules. Would it be worth skipping the dillon measure and getting some other brand, if so what is recommended, and what is compatible with the 550?

You can use the lee dies with your dillon.

I use the lee FCD and the lee/ egw u die with all of my caliber setups.

I also use the hornady competition seating die with their microjust adjustment knob. The only thing dillon is the powder drop. N320 meters fine with the dillon powder drop.

ive got a couple lee dies on my toolheads for my 550b...what you may find with them, is that set up normally, depending on how far they are screwed in, you may run out ofthreads to lock em down from the top ofthe toolhead, in that case, putthe lock ring on the underside of the toolhead

I also now use the LEE U die (40 S&W) on my Dillion 550b. For some reason the dillion resize die would not make the cases small enough to fit into my lone wolf barrel. The LEE U die works great on the Dillion.

Edited by JayJayJay

I use Lee resizing dies for every caliber I load right now. They. always pass the case gauge. Redding Competition Seating dies and Hornady or Redding crimp dies. I have not seen the need to use a Udie. Factory Crimp dies get shelved. There has been many discussions over this, you love them or hate them, swear by them or at them. YMMV