Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I use it and have for years because it's the standard at work and can run on both a PC and Unix. I don't claim to be particularly knowledgeable about it though :P

Kevin

It's a good solid mail client. No bells and whistles like Outlook, but not very many of the viruses either. It's integrated very well with the Netscape browser and if you used both instead of Outlook and IE you would be less likely to get bit by Outlook and IE specific intrusions. Netscape also has pop-up blocking which alone is worth the change from IE. All in all, a good piece of software. Doesn't generate "Explorer has generated errors" notices like another browser I know does.

If you have a high speed connection, Go Here & Get It

--

Regards,

I was wondering if anyone had problems with a mail account "hanging". I am using Netscape to access 2 email accounts, suddenly one of them will identify mail on the server, and when I tell it to download the mail it says "downloading 1 of whatever" and just hangs there.

I was just wondering if anyone ever had this or a similar problem, or could possibly point me in a direction. Server settings seem fine....I think this all started with the friggin DSL.

No problems here but I'm using one of the older versions. Had a few problems with one of the newer ones ... 6.? so quit using it. I'm currently using 4.7 I believe for e-mail only.

I've used Netscape and now Mozilla for email for almost 10 years. Now I use Mozilla the open source code base used for Netscape. You may want to try a Mozilla build as they are usually more up to date than the Netscape builds. The current production version is Mozilla 1.6.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/

I have had the problem you described be caused by a very large message in the mailbox. It appears to hang but it is actually trying to download the large message. This is usually a problem over dial-up not DSL.

What version of Netscape are you using?

Try monitoring Network and CPU usage (Task Manager will do this if you are using a recent Windows, something like top if you are on Linux) and see if it's active, busy idel or idle hung.

My first guess would be that there's a message that is big enough to hit some limit somewhere in the chain and you're not being told about it, and it's causing something to hang or retry. Does this happen consitently at a specific point or truely randomly?

Kevin

Ver. 7.1

Happens every time, only one email server (the other works fine), I can SEND mail through it, but receiving mail (no matter how big or small) will just sit there and try to process it indefinitely.

I like the integration with Netscape, which I started using cuz I began having security issues with Xplorer and those mail programs. But I may try something else.

Now I can't even SEND mail! Something really got hosed somewhere!

Outlook Express does the same thing. It says it's downloading messages but just sits there. It's the friggin GoDaddy server. I need to get my tech down here and straighten this all out!

If your ISP offers a web-based method of looking at your email (a lot of them do: Comcast, Bell South, Earthlink), go look and see if there's anything out there in your inbox of huge size. That way you can determine if you really want it and, if not, whack it.