Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger freeze cured...

Ron Ankeny

As the regulars may recall, I struggled with trigger freeze for many months about 2 years ago. The forum members coached me through the problem and trigger freeze now only rears it's ugly head on rare occasions. Today I absolutely shattered my former personal best on a Bill Drill. It's a good feeling.

Draw, .90 (that's way faster than my par time), .16, .14, .14, .14, and .13 for a grand total of 1.61. Oh how I wish I knew what I did to allow this to happen.

Ron,

I had a similar experience last week that I recounted in the April match thread. Basically I was so tense and shooting so badly, that I elected to shoot a bill drill on each of the six targets in a row. The first five went badly. I remember thinking when I set up in front of target six that my shooting simply sucks today and I remember accepting that and having no expectations of anything different. I remembered that my draw times had been coming down a little from a high of 1.80 to about a 1.55. When I got set and hit the timer (on random delay) I turned my hearing up --- I was curious if by starting the draw on the first instant of the timer I could break 1.50 on the draw --- it turned out to be a 1.19 draw --- something I haven't done in the last year. Total time was 2.21, five As in the body, one (uncalled) A in the head that really should have been a miss....

For me I think the key was acceptance that my shooting wasn't going to magically improve and having no expectations....