Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help deciding on a 9mm for SSP

EurAzn12

I think it's true for many.

18 votes CZ, 0 for Glock in the above poll. Oh, wait he wasn't asking about a Glock. ;)

Don't get me wrong, Glocks are great.... easy to run, easy to work on, pretty accuarate, interchangeable parts - I have a G19 I have had for 20 years, and carry it frequently. I have tried G17/G34s, XDs, M&Ps, Berettas, Sigs, hell even a Ruger once - But I just happen to agree with others that the CZ MAY be a better tool for our games (at least it is for me).

IMHO.

Edited by sfinney

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glocks are excellent guns, but if you're already shooting a 1911, transitioning to a CZ would be much more natural due to grip angle and safety operation. DA/SA transition isn't that big a deal, you just need to work on it.

If you want to try plastic, the S&W M&P has all the advantages of a Glock without the pitfalls.

I'd go with the CZ...in fact I'm considering trading my Glock 34 for one to use in SSP. After shooting a 9mm 1911 in ESP for a while I really like the idea of an all-steel gun for SSP. I wouldn't be too concerned with the traditional DA trigger. You're only gonna have 12 or so double-action pulls through a major match, and the rest are going to be relatively light single-action pulls.

I was looking at the Glock 34, you don't like it?

GO with that you won't be sorry. or the 17.

I ordered a G34 from hi-caliber guns located in WV *no affiliation* They have a great program and deal for military and LEOs so I couldn't resist the price and what they were offering. Plus the boss wants to try out IDPA and she likes the feel of it the most out of all the pistols (am I in trouble when there's not even a ring yet??) haha Well I guess that works... I can now use the excuse "OH I thought you'd like to shoot it too" in the future.. :roflol:

...Another option to consider is the 85 Combat models as they also do not have FPB's and are usually even cheaper than the SP-01's (though they have the older-style shorter, smaller ducktail instead of the higher, upswept beavertail found on the SP's and Shadows which many like myself greatly prefer)...

The stainless 75s also have the beavertail and should be cheaper than the shadow guns.

I do think the basic CZ-75 pattern is an extremely easy gun to shoot well. Having said that, I wouldn't look at the fact that "you're already shooting a 1911 and the control operation is identical" as being a pro-CZ-75 factor.

In my experience the 1911 thumb safety is located far enough to the rear that there is no conscious thought required to off-Safe it on the draw, it simply happens when your hands meet and that automatically (pun intended) places pressure on the thumb safety. By contrast the CZ-75's thumb safety is way far forward on the gun. I have to consciously flex my thumb at the median joint to off-Safe a CZ-75.

In other words, I find it a lot easier to switch back and forth between a 1911 and a Glock than a 1911 and a CZ-75. Because with the Glock, like the 1911, you don't have to think about a thumb safety, or put in the reps necessary to make the extra movement necessary to off-Safe the gun happen without conscious thought. Instead with the Glock it's the same drill as the 1911: grab gun, point gun, pull trigger, gun goes bang, repeat as necessary.

Ah. Good point. :)

So, the drill is the same as for the Glock, not the 1911? :D

Now, he will have to learn a new location for the button that sends the slide forward. He could spend the whole match, mashing on that safety and it still won't send the slide forward - ask me how I know.