Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which powder to start out with (dillon XL650, 9mm only)

Purchasing my first setup and basically just need to know which powder "works well" with the XL650, for 9mm. This is mainly for plinking, not competition, and I want something to "get into it" really.

Thanks much, and FANTASTIC forum here! :cheers:

In 9mm I mostly see Titegroup, WSF, Win231/HP38 (same powder, different can) and N320 as the "go to" powders for minor power factor or "plinking."

Overall, there are a lot of powders out there that fit the bill of what you are asking for. If you are a beginner I would stick with some of the slower powders like win 231 or WSF to start with because you will have a larger safety margin. You will probably end up with one of the faster powders in the end but the experience gained with the other powders will help you out quite a bit overall. Also, it never hurts to have a good "all around" powder that can load several different calibers if you start reloading for other guns :-) Look around at what is available in your area and try out a pound or two of each of the ones I suggested above and then decide on what *you* like.

I personally use N320 but I have to admit it can be a bit difficult to find at times unless you buy in bulk.

Edited by Classic_jon

win. 231

meters well out of a dillon powder measure

it may not be the best powder for certain rounds, but it is a good powder for many pistol cartridges

+1. I've been using W231 for many years.

Very nice powder for 9mm and .45.

For plinking, I'd use the cheapest bullets you can find

and the minimum load of W231 that works your action,

and is reasonably accurate. Can't go wrong with that.

Good luck,

Jack

Power Pistol . I use it in my 9mm, .40Cal, 38spl, 357Magnum, 45ACP & 44Magnum. It measures well not bad of a price on midwayusa.com for $6?.00 for a 4lb jugg... good luck and welcome to the forums..

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=462668#productTabReviews

Edited by MARKAVELI