Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rainier bullets

EVIL HUNTER

Plated bullets may be okay for plinking or practice but that's all I would recommend them for, especially for the casual shooter. The reason they recommend lead data is because they are thin plated over lead so they have about the same properties as lead bullets versus jacketed bullets. Here are a few posts about plated bullets:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=124180&st=0&p=1403535&hl=+plated%20+rainier%20&fromsearch=1entry1403535

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=116238&hl=%20plated%20%20rainier%20&st=0

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=113540&st=30&p=1444467&hl=+plated%20+rainier%20&fromsearch=1entry1444467

Never had a problem with them. Shot 135 gr. 40's at about 1,275 fps. Used a little more powder than lead but less than jacketed. Start low and work your way up.

Never had a problem with them. Shot 135 gr. 40's at about 1,275 fps. Used a little more powder than lead but less than jacketed. Start low and work your way up.

I have used the 135/40 Rainiers in my 40 open guns for years with no issues. I push them to 1250-1300 fps and they make nice round holes where they are supposed to (mostly :rolleyes: ). Start with a lead load and work up. Some guns may not like plated but they work fine for me.

Later,

Chuck

ETA: No crimp, just de-bell

Edited by ChuckS

My first ever .45ACP loads I used Rainier plated bullets. They were cheaper than jacketed bullets.

I loved them. They wont lead the barrel unless you push them really hot, I worked up a nice soft shooting plinking and target load and didnt have any issues.

• 4 weeks later...

I've used plated bullets with great luck. I've not found them to be too velocity sensitive, but they sure were crimp sensitive. I over-crimped some in my 40 S&W and they keyholed at 10 yards! But then again, my crimp was just excessive.

For fun one time, I loaded up my 124 grain plated bullets (Rainier and Berry's)in my 357 SIG P226 and saw how fast I could push them. By the time I reached maximum manual loads, they still held together and shot great! Like any 9mm bullet in a 357 SIG, getting the neck tension right took a bit of care, but no big deal. I wouldn't go so far as to say that plated bullets are great for 357 SIG, but they sure shoot well out of my P226! I got up to 1420 fps with them.

Once again, I was just experimenting, so take it all with a grain of salt! I'm an engineer by trade and sometimes I just can't help myself...I have to experiment!

Warmest regards,

Rob

Edited by RobfromME

I've used plated bullets with great luck. I've not found them to be too velocity sensitive, but they sure were crimp sensitive. I over-crimped some in my 40 S&W and they keyholed at 10 yards! But then again, my crimp was just excessive.

For fun one time, I loaded up my 124 grain plated bullets (Rainier and Berry's)in my 357 SIG P226 and saw how fast I could push them. By the time I reached maximum manual loads, they still held together and shot great! Like any 9mm bullet in a 357 SIG, getting the neck tension right took a bit of care, but no big deal. I wouldn't go so far as to say that plated bullets are great for 357 SIG, but they sure shoot well out of my P226! I got up to 1420 fps with them.

Once again, I was just experimenting, so take it all with a grain of salt! I'm an engineer by trade and sometimes I just can't help myself...I have to experiment!

Warmest regards,

Rob

When you say your crimp was excessive, did you take any measurements? I'm just curious what they were since I feel like that is the same problem with a friend's load.

I have used thousands of them before, in many calibers, in Glocks as well as other pistols, without any problems... BUT... I honestly don't see any reason to use them when you can get jacketed bullets for he same or better price. 2000 bullets from PD might sound like a lot to some people, but for most shooters they go fast.