Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem with my 10mm

Bruce

Tried out some new cobra 10 rd mags in my 10mm blaster, shooting doubltap ammo (pretty hot). Gun ran perfect for all of about 5 rounds, then things went to hell. The slide would not go all way forward into battery, and it felt like it was really bound up---drop mag and took all I had to pull slide back to eject round. Face of bullet had a real dent in it...and the fired brass had a gouge on the rim, a real gouge.

Help with diagnosis, please?

Was the gun reliable before? I'm repeating myself here, but a good pistolsmith once told me, "When a previously 100 percent reliable gun starts puking on you, the first question you should ask yourself is, 'What did I change?'" In your case, you changed the mags. If the gun was reliable before, quit using those mags, it will be reliable again.

What is your spring set up? Recoil spring, shok buff? mainspring weight?

Hot rounds in the 10mm can do damage to the gun if you dont have it set up correctly. If it wont go into battery at all, take the top end off and pull the barrel out. Turn the slide upside down and look at the rear lug area right before the ejection port. Clean the area and then put the barrel back in with the bushing. Then push the barrel back and forth so it "falls" into the lug recesses. If it is rough or drags you battered up a burr on the slide that will have to be dressed down.

If you clean the gun and it runs fine with the old ammo/mags I am not sure what to tell you, the mag should not be catching anything up on the slide, try some other ammo with the mags and see if it will run. Good luck, DougC

• 1 month later...

Check the mags, 90%+ of semi auto malfunctions are caused by magazine problems. Try a different mag after disassembling and cleaning the gun.

Q: How "high" is your mag catch? If you have a mag catch that holds the magazines higher than normal (like an STI or J-P elevated mag catch), then it could be the problem since the Cobra mags are specifically designed to ride higher in the gun (same fix as the higher mag catch, but using a low cut in the mag tube instead).

If so, Tripp makes a different version specifically for STI guns which allow for the higher magazine catch.